Topside Block Installation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Squid

Topside Block Installation

Post by Squid »

Quick question if anyone has experience in this type installation. I am going to install an additional standup block, ( I have one topside for the mainsheet). This install will be for the boom-vang. Both lines will then go through a standup block and then their cheek blocks. Currently the the boom-vang line rubs the mainsheet and comes into the cheek-block at a pretty high angle which creates a rub point on the line/cheeck-block entry point which I would like to alleviate.

Block such as this: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1506069

My question is, currently the screws on the existing cheek-block do not penetrate into the cabin. Are these tapped into hardened epoxy, or just screwed in the fiberglass, balsa core? My thoughts were to place, mark, drill-out, fill-in with epoxy, tap and then mount into the thickened epoxy within the created holes…. also place a bed of bedding tape underneath…. Anyone have any experience with this process or topside mounting?

Thanks for any thoughts..
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Russell

Re: Topside Block Installation

Post by Russell »

Squid wrote:Quick question if anyone has experience in this type installation. I am going to install an additional standup block, ( I have one topside for the mainsheet). This install will be for the boom-vang. Both lines will then go through a standup block and then their cheek blocks. Currently the the boom-vang line rubs the mainsheet and comes into the cheek-block at a pretty high angle which creates a rub point on the line/cheeck-block entry point which I would like to alleviate.

Block such as this: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1506069

My question is, currently the screws on the existing cheek-block do not penetrate into the cabin. Are these tapped into hardened epoxy, or just screwed in the fiberglass, balsa core? My thoughts were to place, mark, drill-out, fill-in with epoxy, tap and then mount into the thickened epoxy within the created holes…. also place a bed of bedding tape underneath…. Anyone have any experience with this process or topside mounting?

Thanks for any thoughts..
Are you sure they are just tapped into epoxy? CD often embedded aluminium into the deck and tapped into that. I would absolutely not expect tapping into epoxy to be anywhere near strong enough, especially not for something that takes the loads a boom vang would. Really, the simple and very strong method of thru bolting with a backing plate is in my opinion the only way to go here (of course over drilling the bolt holes and filling with epoxy to isolate the coring).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Squid

Post by Squid »

That "Is" the question. I am not sure how the current standup block is mounted, but it is assuredly not going through the top to a backing plate… That is why I am asking… It isn't obvious how it was mounted. Other, post build mods are all the way through such as the modified track to lines vice the original pins.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

It could be that the block is tapped into the steel structure built around the mast. You could pull a fastener and take a look at it or try a strong magnet to see if you can figure out what is under there. If it is located on any of the raised structure around the mast then there should be steel under there. You could always bolt right through with a backing plate. I would definitely not try to screw or tap into epoxy, Steve.