Southeast fleet??

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Shinok

Southeast fleet??

Post by Shinok »

I notice that there is a fleet covering most of the East coast, except for the Atlantic areas of FL & GA.

I know in Melbourne alone we have at least 4 or 5 Cape Dory's that I'm aware of, probably more. I know there are a few 'active' (on the board, anyway) members in FL, so why don't we have a fleet that covers FL & GA??

I have been curious about this for a while, but keep forgetting to ask. That and, maybe, I was looking back at some pictures of the club cruises and got a little jealous ;)
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Southeast fleet??

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi,

We are an all-volunteer organization.

Fleets are formed by the CD owners themselves. So in order to form a fleet, somebody has to call for a meeting of CD owners in the area. You know the saying "if you build it, they will come". Well, that holds true for stuff like this as well. So if you want a fleet, you guys have to get together and form one, and if not already members, you'll need to join the CDSOA.

Fair winds and happy holidays,
Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

What Cathy said.

The reason there might not be a Fleet in [fill in the blank] is because you haven't taken the lead to gather up your fellow Cape Dory owners and start one.

We're here to help. I'm happy to provide guidance and advice... email or pm me!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

To All,

The CDSOA would very much like to encourage the establishment of local fleets, they are the heart of our association. If anyone is interested in starting a local fleet we are more than willing to help. We can provide you with information and advise based on our experiences of how to put a fleet together and how to make it work. We will help you in planning an organizational meeting and will have a representative at your meeting to help you get started. Feel free to contact me anytime to talk about starting a fleet. I am glad that you are
jealous of those of us with a local fleet to belong to, they are indeed a great thing to be a part of, but we can cure your jealousy by giving you a fleet of your own, if you are willing to do the work to make it happen.

Steve Kuhar
Commodore, CDSOA
(850) 994 5944 or (850) 293 0296

P.S Keep trying to call if there is no answer, I may be down at the boat or at a fleet get together.
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Thanks for the response. I guess I was curious if anyone had tried to set one up in the past and failed for one reason or another.

I would love to see about getting a fleet started for the East coast of FL, I'll ring you guys after things from Christmas settle down and the new year starts.
chris dehart

Post by chris dehart »

Kestrel is in Saint Augustine and we would be willing to participate in a fleet
Cd 33
nosara

SE Fleet. SSI Squadron.

Post by nosara »

There are four located St. Simons Island.
One 31, two 30s,and a 28.

CG
SV Krisan
CD178
Squid

Post by Squid »

Well, for what little it's worth, and it ain't much… I am a member of the Chesapeake Bay group and will be departing in a couple of years for Amelia Island. When I get south it would be encouraging to find a chapter of CDSOA members to serve the East Coast FL/GA area. Count me in when I get there…
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Well, thanks for the folks that said they would come. I know of at least 3 in the Melbourne area, I think they would come as well.

Steve, I'll call you tomorrow or Weds and chat, to see what needs to be done and how we can kick this off. I'd love for this to happen, both for the owners in the area and for those that pass through going south.