Cape Dory 24' trawler, with sail rig

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Professor Ron Carpenter,

Cape Dory 24' trawler, with sail rig

Post by Professor Ron Carpenter, »

I am the new owner of the Cape Dory 24' trawler, with diesel engine, pilot house, lobster boat hull, and sail rig. The boat was built in 1983 and the model apparently was in production for only a short time. With the high quality workmanship plus diesel engine, the cost of the boat--given its size--probably did not lend itself to volume production (the model was discontinued after only a few were built).

I am very favorably impressed with my boat, not only for its workmanship, but its salty and seakindly demeanor. But I would like to learn much more about this particular boat. Actually, this is my
first inboard powerboat so I am particularly interested in communicating with people who have experience with its handling under power--or even with the sail rig (big lapper, roller furling jib and small, roller furling main).

I teach at the University of Florida in Gainesville, and we keep the boat on the ICW between St. Augustine and Daytona, pretty much restricting our boating to going up and down the ICW (at least as of this point, considering my experience, or lack thereof). Iam looking ahead optimistically to gaining that experience whereby we (my wife and I) will take a short overnight cruise to some port on the ICW and then work up to some longer jaunts perhaps for as much as a week (although those of you who may have the boat know that it is suited only for limited stays, at least on board).

Again, I would be very pleased to communicate with others--the very few of you--who happen to own this particular 24' Cape Dory trawler. I hope you will respond.

Cordially, Ron Carpenter

Webmaster wrote:E-mail address modified or deleted by webmaster. Please see the "Sticky" located at the top of this forum titled:

Sticky: Important...regarding e-mail addresses.....PLEASE READ!

To contact the person who posted the above message, please click on either the "email" or "pm" button below.
valenteach

Cape Dory 24 Trawler owners

Post by valenteach »

I've been trying to resurrect some interest in this boat, I purchased hull #10 last year, she's a great boat. I still have not had any responses from people who previously posted things about the boat. Are you still an owner? Would you like to email a bit?

-Mike Rejto
Viola, CD24T
Barrington RI