rent a 3/4 ton pickup?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Megunticook

rent a 3/4 ton pickup?

Post by Megunticook »

I'm buying a CD Ty Senior on a trailer in Salem, Mass. and need to haul it up to Camden, Maine (about 180 mile trip one way). Anyone know where I can rent a 3/4 ton pickup? I haven't had any luck so far.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: rent a 3/4 ton pickup?

Post by Neil Gordon »

http://www.stonehamfordrentalcenter.com/index.html

They rent trucks (at least according to their website. If they don't have what you need, they probably know who does.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Post by Steve Bryant »

Based on experience hauling a CD 25, a 1/2 ton truck should be more than adequate for a TY senior. I usually turn off the overdrive.

Good Luck,
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

based on my experiences pulling a 25D I would agree a 1/2 ton would done fine.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Thanks. Stoneham Ford doesn't have trailer hitches on their trucks, as it turns out.

This trailer doesn't have brakes. It's a home job, looks sturdy enough, will need to check the wheel bearings. Surveyor thought it looked plenty safe, said he had towed boats "millions of miles."

Most of the drive is going to be on turnpike and U.S. 1. If driven very conservatively, with a solid truck, is it safe without brakes on the trailer? I wouldn't make a habit of it, but just to get the boat home?
ronkberg

Post by ronkberg »

I rented a pickup from U-Haul and hauled my Typhoon Weekender from Bristol, RI to Portland, ME. It did not have trailer brakes and I just gave the other drivers a long following distance and travelled at about 55mph mostly. Long slow ride so stop frequently to check movement of the boat and sense the temperature of the trailer hubs. Hot hubs could indicate lack of grease in the bearings, so carry along a grease gun to supplement if needed. Be careful not to pump in too much grease as you could blow out the bearing seals.

Congrats on the new boat. I had tried to buy a Ty Sr. from a guy on Cape Cod a few years ago but he wanted more boat-bucks than I was willing to pay.

Good luck and drive carefully, Ron.
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Post by Steve Bryant »

Something else to consider beyond taking it easy towing since you will be on major highways. There are state laws with regard to trailer brake requirements that could land you in trouble if you are inspected. Looks like MA, NH, and ME all require brakes on loaded trailers that exceed 3,000 lbs. My guess is that you will probably exceed that.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/

Just an FYI,
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Thanks for the tips. I emailed the Maine State Police and am waiting to hear back on the brake requirements.
swpatooty2

Post by swpatooty2 »

Just a thought: if you can afford the time (or can ask the seller to handle it) it might be a good idea to have the trailer wheel bearings inspected and re-packed before starting out. I have neglected, or been unable to, do this several times when picking up an unknown trailer with a boat or car aboard, and regretted it bitterly once or twice.

It is a relatively few dollars well spent.

Good luck, and enjoy the TY.

swpatooty2
ronkberg

Post by ronkberg »

OOOPS, looks like you will need trailer brakes.

If you want another potential solution, call Michael Chasse, owner of Northeast Sailboat Rescue in Freeport, ME. http://www.northeastsailboatrescue.com/sale.html I know Michael hauls boats on the Maine Turnpike often and he might be able to help you.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Post by Steve Bryant »

Ron,

My guess is you were legal hauling your Weekender. The Senior looks to be over 1,000 lbs heavier.
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
NateHanson

Post by NateHanson »

Assuming the Senior and the CD 22 have fairly similar weights, I expect you will have a total trailer weight a bit over 4000 pounds.

You're certainly fine with a half-ton truck, though most rental companies don't want you to tow (presumably for insurance reasons). So even if all their pickups have manufacturer installed hitch receivers (many do these days), they may not tell you if you ask them about it on the phone. You might drive by your local rental and scope it out. Or maybe a pickup from Uhaul is worth a try. You might need to bring a tow ball mount with you ($30, or borrow from your neighbor's truck while he's asleep).

I tow our CD22 without brakes, but just a few miles to launch and haul her. We're looking into replacing the trailer precisely because we may want to do some trailer sailing, involving highway speeds.

Maine (and most other states) require brakes on trailers over 3000#. Massachusetts only requires them over 10,000 lbs, and NH requires that trailers be able to stop from a speed of 20mph, within 30 feet (that's pretty quick!). http://www.roadkingtrailers.com/brakelaws.htm

I have no idea how likely you are to get checked for brakes on the highway. I've never been stopped and inspected when towing an equipment trailer (weighing about 7000 pounds). I guess if it were me, I'd probably grease the bearings, make sure the trailer lights work, and just haul it home. Go slowly, stay in the right lane, and plead forgiveness on the off chance I got stopped.

That said, it's not me, so you'll have to figure out what works for you. Let us know how it worked when you get home (or when your wife bails you out of the York County lockup!).
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

This spring I bought a CD 25D that was located in Knife River, MN (near Duluth) and needed to get it home to York, ME. I found out that Prime Toyota in Saco, ME rents new or almost new Toyota Tundra pickups at good prices and allows towing with unlimited mileage. You might want to check with them.

The Tundra is not a 3/4 ton, but was rated to tow 10,300 lbs with a weight distributing hitch. It did a great job towing the boat and was really comfortable for the long trip. The trailer had been siting for a long time, so before towing the boat, I had the marina at Knife River service the trailer brakes and install new wheel bearings and tires.
It was an extra expense, but worth it because we made it home safe & sound.

Good luck with your new boat!
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Michael at NE Rescue cannot haul for hire- I believe that his insurance prohibits it. (The Maine BMV may have a rule or two about this too.)

Prime Toyota is a great idea. Money well spent.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

The last time I tried to rent a U Haul pick up to tow a trailer, I found out that I would have to rent one of their larger moving vans if I wanted to tow.

At that time their pick ups did not come with trailer hitches but their larger moving vans did.

As far as brakes....I've pulled a 2000 pound boat with no problems with out brakes.

As far as the law. 180 miles is quite away to go with out giving a few highway patrolmen a chance at you. Not to mention if you happened to have an accident and it was found you should have had brakes.

Good luck.

Gary