6 pack license

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

GinoDelG

6 pack license

Post by GinoDelG »

Hi all,

I'm thinking of studying for my 6 pack USCG license. Has anyone gotten one? Do you have any advice? I see that Boatwise offers a course for $1,000 in Braintree, MA this spring. I'm wondering if its a good idea. Does anyone know whether getting the license will result in work opportunities. I'm nearing retirement age and it would be nice to get some paying part-time work sailing boats if possible. Or is this a pipe dream?
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: 6 pack license

Post by Neil Gordon »

GinoDelG wrote:Hi all,

I'm thinking of studying for my 6 pack USCG license. Has anyone gotten one? Do you have any advice? I see that Boatwise offers a course for $1,000 in Braintree, MA this spring. I'm wondering if its a good idea. Does anyone know whether getting the license will result in work opportunities. I'm nearing retirement age and it would be nice to get some paying part-time work sailing boats if possible. Or is this a pipe dream?
I'm tempted to do the same... although it's a stretch to get the required time in.

Go for the 25 ton license. It doesn't look like there are any additional requirements except that you need to be 19 and not 18.

I have a friend who took the course and another who just studied for the exam. Both passed. You can get a pretty good book for lots less than the cost of the course but it depends on how you learn.

As for opportunities, I think you'd need to network around to get delivery work. Brokers, yacht clubs, marinas and the like seem like good referral sources. I'd think you'd need insurance and also transportation to/from your starting and ending points. I'm not sure it's a great way to make a fortune but I suspect you might end up ahead of the game. You'll also need reliable crew. Also expect that something will break along the way!

Locally, there are any number of boats that go to Maine on the SW wind and then hire someone when vacation ends for the windward slog back. You just need to find them.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Klem

Post by Klem »

I actually took a license class from Boatwise back when I got my 100 ton. Rick Kilborn, one of the owners taught the class and I thought that he did a really nice job. A few of my friends who had similar commercial boating experience were also in the class and they agree that he did a good job. I have also had friends take classes with other organizations and not be happy at all with the level of instruction. If someone like Rick is teaching the class, then I would recommend the class over learning everything yourself.

I know many people who get licenses then never use them. I would only recommend getting a license if you really plan to use it. Dealing with all of the paperwork is expensive and very time consuming (it took me 2+ hours a few months ago to simply pick up my latest TWIC card). The license exam will not make you a better boater for the most part. The most practical portion of the exam is navigation and they give you way too much time (my own opinion is that you should have an average of 1 minute per question because if it takes you any longer, you are already way off course). Many of the other sections are very regulation based. If you want to become a better boater, look at something like an ASA class.

There are many things out on the water that require a captain's license. Everyone from a fishing guide, to a daysail captain to a ferry captain needs a license. If you have a good sailing resume on many different boats and are good at quickly learning a new boat, deliveries are an option. If you go this route, I would recommend going as mate on a few to see what people do before going as captain. With any of the more steady jobs, you need to find someone to hire you. Unless you can prove that you have done something very similar before, you might need to start as something like a mate and work your way up.
Len

Post by Len »

Hi,

I got mine (OUPV --6 pack --- with 50 ton master and sailing endorsement) about seven years ago. It was a pleasant and worthwhile activity. Things have changed a lot since then ( you need to get your TWIC for example. They have also gotten stricter with the medical for us "older" guys, when you renew (after five years).the renewal was a way lot of paperwork.
With a TWIC a 50 ton ticket and lots of eXperience you can get jobs. I believe it really hinges on networking to get the jobs-- it's who you know that helps,most. IMHO.
Len
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

I agree with one of the other posters, get it if you want to use it, but if you are cruising full-time and retired, there is not a whole lot of use for it on side jobs, but there are some. We have found it really is more about bragging rights more than anything. Like being a licensed Commercial Pilot, it really does not matter how many hours you have in your little Cessna 152 when it comes to commercial jobs. Except for delivery, you are going to start on the low-end. But, where it does come in handy is if you want to buy a boat and do dinner cruises or capt charters. Not easy to make money, especially with the insurance and red tape. Doing it for someone else or a company means you either have to a lot of experience or be super lucky and be in the right place at the right time and know the right people who trust you and your skills.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I got a CG license in '98. It was the Masters 50 ton, not the 6 pack. I recommend going that route as opposed to a 6 pack as that limits you to taking 6 people or less out on Federally managed waters. You need sea time, most of it within the last couple years so study that side of the requirements before going for it. If your time is all aboard your boat you will need to document that (and probably get issued a 25 ton license which is fine) and if it is on other people's boats you'll need to get information on the boat from them for documentation.

I took a course, ended up working for the instructor skippering on his boats and ended up gaining a new friend in him. While the course has quite a bit of strange, unrelated knowledge to real sailing, it was fun and interesting to complete. Lots of hoops to jump through just to apply too.

A tip that really helped me: don't try to make what they are teaching you match what you would do on the water. Put away the shovel! It is the language they use in the questions that will give you the answers they want. Know their language and you can deduce many of the answers as some of them do not line up with practical methods one would actually use.

Took a lot of time, but it was satisfying to get and I was able to earn money with it at least for a few years.

Hope this helps,
Paul
CDSOA Member