Hammock??

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Ben Coombs
King's Point, West Bath, ME

Hammock??

Post by Ben Coombs »

I had a thought the other day... rather amazing that I have them at all.

It was hanging a hammock off of the boom (not a very profound thought). Is the boom on our 25 strong enough? I guess it would really depend on the sail stop in the mainsail track, and the topping lift. Certainly the aluminum can hold up. At anchor I raise the boom up high enough to have full headroom in the cockpit, so there is ample room to hang.

I have seen hammocks run between the mast and forestay. But under the cockpit awning would be nice.

anybody try this?
Ben Coombs
Steve Laume

Re: Hammock??

Post by Steve Laume »

I would use the main halyard in place of the topping lift just to be sure you wouldn't wind up on the deck, Steve.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

As someone who has derived great joy from slinging hammocks in bizarre places on boats and otherwise, I recommend total experimentation. If you have enough room under the awning with the boom I concur with setting the main halyard tot he end of the boom for additional strength, don't know how strong the topping lift is on the 25, but I would even consider it on our 33. Check the safe working load of the wire to be sure. I assume you are connecting the aft end to the backstay which would place some stress on that wire and it's attachments as it would load it out of line. I would worry more about that and test it gingerly.

I stung up a hammock between the masts of an Atkins Ingrid 38 I was crewing on one time at anchor in the Whitsunday Islands and promptly fell asleep. I awoke to a swell coming in and swinging forcefully in an 190 arc as the boat rolled. Calculating this arc carefully, there was a moment of fear wondering how I would release myself from the pendulum of certain doom, the sky was darkening and the boat needed attention. After considering launching myself into the coral sea, I ended up slowing the motion down by dragging my feet on the cabin top each time and managed to get out. When the rest of the crew made it back to the boat right before the storm, we all had a good laugh but the bottom of my feet smarted for a few days.

I heartily recommend this type of hammock as I reckon to this day that any other type would have thrown me at least twenty feet! I've had one now for 20 years.

http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/hand-w ... ammock.cfm

Good luck and remember that laziness is not without peril.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

Nice idea!

My son is in an outdoor adventure club at school. They've all started carrying ENO hammocks, which are ultra-light parachute cloth and wrap you up like a cocoon. He bought a two-person unit and the webbing kit to wrap around just about anything. He says the ENO is super comfortable.

All the best, Terry
K Chiswell

Post by K Chiswell »

I've got two of the nylon hammocks and love them. I think it is a great way to relax above deck. If you tie your halyard and the outboard end of the hammock together, and the inboard end is at the gooseneck, the primary force on the boom will be compression. Probably not needed, but it would be extra safe.
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

I always keep a hammock on board. We attach one end to a mast winch and hank the other end onto a headstay. Jib halyard attaches to fwd end to control height as it slides up/down the headstay. Works great!

John
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
kerlandsen

Post by kerlandsen »

Topping lifts don't last forever.
I had my 9 year old on the end of the boom and the boom pulled out all the way. He likes to jump in from there.
Well, I was rocking the boat so he could get higher. The topping lift snapped. landed on top of the stanchions, no harm. He landed, as desired, in the water.

The topping lift was homemade from Kevlar cord. probably 3/16" thick. Proper eye splices with stainless eyes. The line parted in the middle. THe line has been out doors since the day it was installed. Five years. It is out all winter and all summer. I knew it would be time soon. I am just glad it did not break and crush the dodger hardware.

The new one is in place. Made from Dyneema, again proper splices etc. I think when I get back up the mast next time I will install snap shackle at the top so I can remove the topping lift for the winter. It seems I have to remove the windex every winter, since the crane clobbers it every time, might as well just remove the topping lift. I may also measure this new one and make up a spare to swap in and out. Overthinking it.

Please tell about hammocks. I am in the market, probably hang of the headstay like John R. I need to make something to wrap gingerly around the furled genoa. Hmm.

Kyle
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Again, This type of hammock is the most comfortable I have found. You can get nylon or traditional cotton. The cotton is more comfortable on the skin but the nylon would resist rot longer if if gets wet often. As I said in an earlier post, I have had a cotton one for years. Even with the two boys messing about in it the thing has lasted - and it gets used hard. The secret is to twist and roll it when you unship it:

1. Untie one end of the hammock. Twist it thoroughly till it spins around fairly tightly.
2. Roll twisted hammock up into a ball.
3. Finish by unshipping the line from the other end and tying it in a hitch around the ball.

I also try to keep it out of the rain and wet. On a 28 footer or longer, one should be able to find multiple places to hang one. Like forestay and mast, mast and topping lift, mast and halyard led down to a jib winch cockpit cleat, backstay and mast etc. (practice your rolling hitches or prussic knots boys!) On the ketch I rigged it between the main mast and the backstay which came down athwartships of the mizzen mast after the in line swing-a-thon mentioned in my previous post. It seemed to dampen the roll some.

http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/hand-w ... ammock.cfm
Paul
CDSOA Member
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

kerlandsen wrote:...Please tell about hammocks. I am in the market, probably hang of the headstay like John R. ..Kyle

Good hammocks have spreader bars to hold them open. This one has steel rings at each end. I put a sail hank on the forward ring and use it to secure the hammock to the inner forestay. Can't really see the inner forestay here, as it's behind the halyard. Then I clip the halyard for the staysail onto the ring and use it to control height of the forward end. The aft end is just tied off to a winch on the mast.

You'll need a bungy cord or two to secure the at least one side of the hammock to the lifelines, else the hammock will swing wildly when you get hit by wakes. Or, alternatively, you could not mention the bungies, and take great pleasure in watching your crew get dumped on the deck as the hammock flips over after swinging out of control. ;)

John Ring
CD36 #135 Tiara
http://home.comcast.net/~ringj/
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.