Galley storage

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russell

Galley storage

Post by Russell »

I just finished making my galley cabinets above the sink (you can see my thread under projects about it). I think they came out very nice, just need to varnish now.

Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
sharkbait

Re: Galley storage

Post by sharkbait »

Very well done! Love the inlay!
Have A Nice Day
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

Russel that is gorgeous. I have been procrastinating about doing the same thing in our 33. Curious how did you attach it?
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

Oh yeah Russel it looks like you have some tan color spots on the liner. I have the same. Any idea what the hell it is? It sota looks like gel coat repair with the wrong color gel coat or it changed color over time. Any ideas?
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
Russell

Post by Russell »

Its attached with various cleats, typical of how any cabinet is made (into the headliner, the cabin side, and each panel to the adjacent one). Its also resting on the gutter that runs under the ports and screwed into the handrails where they were cut to accommodate the cabinet. Its extremely sturdy. When I finish with the v berth cabinets, I will coming back to the galley cabinet and putting a shelf on the forward side of it (though it would also be a great place to mount a flat screen TV or some nice artwork).

As for the stains, some of those are primer painted over some crazing, previous owner did that (not sure what he thought it would accomplish) and some are as you describe, just odd stains which seem unexplainable. I would blame it on something to do with the headliner mold release, or an issue with the origonal gel coat, but then we would see these sorts of issues on the exterior as well. So I am at a loss, I have always wondered since I have seen it on a few different cape dorys but I have yet to hear a reasonable explaination for it. Headliner painting has been on my todo list since I bought the boat (I did do the headliner in the head), but its a tough project to take on while living aboard (also why my new cabin sole still does not have all its varnish done).
Russell
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

VERY NICE!!

If/when I live aboard, that will be at the top of my list.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

a worthy improvement, well executed.
Never been crazy for mitered door frames, stile and rail construction would be my preference.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
Russell

Post by Russell »

Ron M. wrote:a worthy improvement, well executed.
Never been crazy for mitered door frames, stile and rail construction would be my preference.
Stile and rail is certainly nicer, and the existing doors on my CD are made that way. But I only had 1/2" teak ply which I had bought for the cabinet itsself, to do stile and rail I would have needed to buy a whole sheet of 1/4" ply just for those two small pieces, so a mitered frame was just fine with me considering. If I had some 1/4 sitting around I probably would have opted for that.
Russell
Russell

Post by Russell »

Note to moderators:

I already had a thread about this in the projects sections, I specifically posted this "finished" post in the main section since most people do not even ready the project section. Too many posts are lost or overlooked since most of us only ready the main forum. Please move this back to where I posted it and I will keep updating my main project thread in the project section. Thanks.
Russell
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Russell wrote:... I specifically posted this "finished" post in the main section since most people do not even ready the project section. Too many posts are lost or overlooked since most of us only ready the main forum....
I am glad you did, too. I was one of the ones that did not know there was a post in the Projects section until you posted in the main section. Now I'm subscribed but prior to that I had no idea.

My vote (for what that is worth :) ) is that this post really belongs in the other section, rather than a dual post in the Projects section.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com