Volvo Penta MD 11C Running Hot

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Brigadoon

Volvo Penta MD 11C Running Hot

Post by Brigadoon »

Hi,

I bought Brigadoon in November 2011 and have been refurbishing her. I am now ready to launch but in a sea trial the engine is running hot. We have flushed with Barnacle buster and taken off the manifold and cleaned it. We have also replaced the impeller and thermostat - but it is still running hot.

Any suggestions?

Hello again,

A little more information about Brigadoon. It is hull #31 made in 1981. The current engine is Volvo Penta MD 11C, 23 hp. I have no information on hours or maintenance. In my latest conversation with the yard we are looking at the option of a re-power.

My question is - those of you with this vintage CD that had a Volvo Penta MD 11C and re-powered; what did you re-power with, what was your success, what are the pitfalls, how satisfied are you with your new powertrain?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Last edited by Brigadoon on Jul 29th, '13, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgeH
s/v Spartina
Setauket Harbor, NY

Re: Volvo Penta MD 11C Running Hot

Post by GeorgeH »

I don't know if your MD11 is similar to an MD7 but my problem was clogged passage ways in my block. To fix it I had to remove the cooling manifold and clean out the passages ways into the block. I couldn't believe how many inlets were complexly clogged up.
George Hoffman
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

You covered most of the obvious possibilities. Is there a good water flow? Are you sure it is really running hot? It could be a problem with the sender or gauge. You seem to be checking all the right stuff, Steve.
GinoDelG

Post by GinoDelG »

How hot is hot? Mine normally runs at about 195 F.
Brian2

Post by Brian2 »

Is it fresh water cooled via a heat exhanger? and if so, do you have enough coolant in it? Are there air bubbles so the coolant isn't circulating?

That used to be a problem for me at the start of every season. I used to have to get all the air bubbles out.