Outboard for CD25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

nigelnoble
Location: 1976 CD-25 419 "Jane" East Hampton, Long Island, NY

Outboard for CD25

Post by nigelnoble »

I need to buy a new outboard, and looking for advice: What will fit under the lazarette, drops into the water without herculean struggles, and yet has enough hp to deal with docking in a strong wind?
Nigel
pete faga

Re: Outboard for CD25

Post by pete faga »

Check the search/archives .probably most posted q for the 25.
Most repower with 6 4 stroke 20 or 25 shaft with prop that is bigger made for sail
Pete
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

As mentioned, there are a lot of post re: motors for the 25.

Last year, I replaced Cassandra's original evinrude with a Tohatsu SailPro. It has a long shaft with an appropriate prop (thrust), and alternator for charging batteries.

I did not cut down the motor mount as many have done to accommodate the taller motor inside the compartment. I'm okay for the moment with it open a couple inches. Only thing I've yet to figure out is how to change the fuel intake adapter so the it feeds from the side, and doesn't interfere with the drop-in board separating the cockpit for the compartment.

I really like the performance of the Tohatsu and it's solved the issue I'd had in a tight marina trying to make sternway. It is a four-stroke, with exhaust down deep, which is very nice. Also, seems to work well with motor compartment cover down.

While it's a four-stroke, it is light enough to handle it in and out of its mount.

All the best. Terry
nigelnoble
Location: 1976 CD-25 419 "Jane" East Hampton, Long Island, NY

Post by nigelnoble »

The Tohatsu seems like a favorite on this board. If you do not purchase the remote, how does the control arm fit and how do you operate it? Is that the part that requires raising the lazarette? Do you have to open the lazarette to use it? I assume the solution to the fuel intake adapter change you are mention is to purchase a side feed supply tube from the external tank?

First time I have had to buy an outboard (mine came with the boat) so apologize for dumb questions.

Nigel
Nigel
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

Nigel,
I have a Mercury 9.9 HP (it's a 1989 vintage) with a long shaft length.

While I have only had it once it was a nice amount of power for getting my CD25 in and out of slips and incoming currents. I can't imagine running with less horsepower but I know people have. Fits great under the lazarette. It does however like to drink fuel, I can run for about 5 to 6 hours on 4 gallons.

You want the extended lower unit.

Good luck and happy shopping
Terry
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

Nigel,
I raise the cover to start anyway and with old motor it wouldn't run without staying raised. However, the Tohatsu will run with the cover down but the operating tiller/throttle sticks out a bit so the cover doesn't close, which as mentioned is the way it is for me now anyway. The tiller/throttle is exposed enough to use with the cover down, too. The shifter is not usable in that position without modification like a rod sticking through the that access window to the cockpit.

As far as the fuel inlet, the marine shop says there isn't a part like that, but the fellow said he might be able to figure something out. I suppose I'll pull it out in the late fall and have it serviced and see if that's possible. It's not a big deal, but I sorta liked the teak drop board in place when the boat's buttoned up.

There is a way to actually set up a remote for the tohatsu, but it's pricey, so I've learned.

Hope that helps. Regards, Terry
Terry
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

You have good point, Bill, on current. I've don't have that issue, as I'm on a lake, though it's really a dammed up river, but I've pushed against the wind without problem. Others haven't had issue with the SailPro 6 that I've heard, perhaps as the thrust prop really adds to the realized power. But certainly it is a consideration depending upon the sailing area.

I looked at the new mercury 9.9, which is four stroke, but they are considerably bigger, heavier, and don't sit well in the compartment. Some folks that go bigger have to use the boom and a block and tackle to lower or raise the motor. They still have to cut down the motor mount to accommodate the height.

All the best. Terry
Ben Coombs
King's Point, West Bath, ME

Post by Ben Coombs »

The tohatsu 6 we have has a side mounted throttle and folds easily back to allow closing the cover. The fit will also depend on the year as the well changed over time.
Ben Coombs