Big project getting bigger

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

K Chiswell

Big project getting bigger

Post by K Chiswell »

So I went to the boat today to prep for removing the engine. Removed one of the coolant line and realized I didn't have a container to drain it into. I thought no problem the pan under the engine is watertight, I'll just pump it out. I continued to hear a slow drip after the line was empty. Turns out it all leaked into my holding tank.

So now I have a leaking holding tank to repair or replace. Ill see what I'm dealing with a little better once the engine is out. If I have to replace it does anyone know where I can get a new tank?
K Chiswell

Re: Big project getting bigger

Post by K Chiswell »

I've never paid any attention to the tank material, I assumed it was some kind of plastic. I was just looking at the manual (thanks to this website) which states the tank is fiberglass, that means I should be able to repair it. It still will not be fun, but better than trying to replace it.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

If it is like the CD 33's, it is simply a glassed in part of the hull within the keel. Mine clearly is as I have an access port I can odiferously check it and even hose it out for a complete cleaning. Starts just forward of the engine beds. If the leak is on top of the tank, under the motor, you should be able to grind and patch.

If you have a different set up though, or clearly see a poly tank or something, that is a different fix.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Troy Scott

Post by Troy Scott »

I think I mentioned once before: when I was cleaning the bilge, I discovered a hole deliberately drilled from the bilge to the exterior, apparently meant to provide a center for the knot meter sensor. The sensor was actually installed farther forward. The unused centering hole was apparently repaired from the outside, but not from the inside. Anyway, when I started pumping epoxy filler into the hole, it never stopped taking filler. I realized it was a hole connecting the bilge and the holding tank, probably from when the boat was new. No wonder the bilge was smelly and nasty! It was a gooey mix of engine oil and stuff that should have remained in the HT. Anyway, I glassed over the "extra" hole and cleaned everything. All is well.
This may fall under the heading of "too much information" but the HT and the bilge both smell like fabric softener now. :)
Regards,
Troy Scott