SPOT Satellite Communicator

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

SPOT Satellite Communicator

Post by Evergreen »

Hello fellow cruisers:

Well, here in the northern hemisphere the sailing season has once again returned for those of us who are seasonal cruisers.

In preparation for this years upcoming expedition we dug out our SPOT locator unit and tested it. This act brought to mind how faithful the unit has been over the years and how much we have appreciated it.

Mind you, we have no financial connection or special interest in the SPOT corporation when we write this!! That said we would like to strongly recommend them. As cruisers with family and friends back home, these people have repeatedly commented how they appreciate the daily notifications and tracking function that the units send out. It is just another way to stay more connected with those left behind and also is a way to reassure them that we are OK. The satellite view is particularly interesting when we visit out of the way places. The units are relatively inexpensive but the annual subscription with the tracking and rescue insurance is a bit pricey, yet we feel it is well worth it. The SPOT personal website can be a bit confusing initially but it is managable.

So if you have ever thought about having such a device we recommend them. Our experiences have resulted in our giving the SPOT units a thumbs up.

In the next couple of weeks we will start this summers expedition. We invite you to follow along with us via our blog (the link is below our signature) and also via the SPOT link that you will find on the blog.

Fair winds to everyone,
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Re: SPOT Satellite Communicator

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

We got caught in a blow while making a delivery last December. Our EPURB got wet and went off for a short period of time. (it was stowed properly) The coast Guard used information from our Spot messages sent to people to help pin point us.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
MFC
Hull No.128

Post by MFC »

Not to discount the utility of SPOT or the other trackers (and they are fun), but reliance on SPOT as an emergency device (or even as confirmation that someone is okay) has caused some significant crisis. This thread on CF is just one view of the other side of the coin:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19 ... 02189.html

That story relates particularly to gaps in offshore coverage, but other issues can arise with SPOT. For instance, dead batteries and water have caused other problems. Purpose designed rescue beacons (EPIRB and PLB) are less apt to suffer from these issues.

Matt
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Fun! I never considered my spot to be a toy. And except for checking in on the maritime net it is the only way for me to let people back home know I am ok. They are all aware that it may or may not work properly and yes it has failed to work especially during bad weather. My policy has always been that until my body floats up on shore somewhere, assume that I am ok. I have an epirb on my sailboat but my spot goes with me when ever I am off shore my boat or not.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
MFC
Hull No.128

Post by MFC »

Kevin Kaldenbach wrote:Fun! I never considered my spot to be a toy. And except for checking in on the maritime net it is the only way for me to let people back home know I am ok. They are all aware that it may or may not work properly and yes it has failed to work especially during bad weather. My policy has always been that until my body floats up on shore somewhere, assume that I am ok. I have an epirb on my sailboat but my spot goes with me when ever I am off shore my boat or not.
Hey Kevin -
I wasn't trying to make fun (light) of it by saying they can be fun. I get a kick out of watching other's SPOT tracking. I think they ARE fun -- and that they have a place. I just think they have some significant and potentially overlooked downsides. I'll be interested to hear what the "missing skipper" has to say when he arrives in NY. He may have told his people the same thing you did (only worry about the EPIRB . . . otherwise I am fine). But in a sense, it is their actual reaction, not his instructions, that matters.
-Matt
Russell

Post by Russell »

I recommend SPOTs all the time to fellow sailors/cruisers as an alternative to EPIRBs. But that comes with a very specific set of circumstances. The fact is 99% of cruisers on the east coast end up doing nothing more then traveling the ICW and maybe going to the Bahamas as well, and thats it. But they still spend money on serious offshore liferafts and epirbs. That, IMO, is a waste of money. For such trips you are fine without either, but if you are worried and must have something, a SPOT and a small aircraft liferaft are both far cheaper and will do the job just as well since you are never far from land.

But yeah, crossing oceans (or even just a Bermuda trip), you are smart to carry a real EPIRB and a real liferaft. A SPOT is a nice addon, but not an alternative in serious passagemaking.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

This site shows the Spot coverage.
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=109
My friend did a delivery in the Pacific last year and SPOT tracked him 90% of the time.
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

Does anyone have any experience with the Delorme "In Reach" system? Link: http://delorme.com/

It looks like an updated version of the Spot system, but with more "fun" built into it. Sends/receives text etc.

Any experiences? Opinions on In Reach as opposed to Spot?

John
CD36 Tiara

Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.