4 Stroke for a CD25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

AnitaD

4 Stroke for a CD25

Post by AnitaD »

I would like to buy a new 4 stroke outboard for my CD 25. My old 2 stroke a 9.9 Johnson was almost impossible to get in and out of the motor well. I would settle for less hp in an outboard that I could handle more easily. Does anyone have experience with a motor that is not a bear to get in and out of the boat?
joemerchant

Re: 4 Stroke for a CD25

Post by joemerchant »

Probably not much help but to help think outside of the box...

They are all about the same weight for HP. Years ago I had an old Ericson 26 Crealock Designed boat. The boat had a well and yes, it was a bear to get the motor in and out. We kept two motors. A 4 HP Yamaha and one of the first 10 HP Honda 4 strokes. The Yamaha was great for getting in and out of the harbor for day sails. If we were going over to Catalina Island or up/down the coast, we would put the Honda on the boat, otherwise the Yamaha could be lifted from the well to the stantions to the inflatable pretty easily.

Only other idea is to build a lifting sling to lift it out of the well, or maintain good zincs on the motor and leave it in the water.
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Hi Anita. Check out the archives/ search button for this thread on repowering cd 25's. The engine wells changed a little so you might have to make minor adjustments to fit a 4 stroke of your h.p. Most owners seem to repowering with a 6 hp 4stroke with minor adjustments. Check out the search under cd25 repowering there is a lot of info for you to guide you for your decision.
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

In the fall the original evinrude on Cassandra, CD25, conked out. I replaced it with a Tohatsu Sail Pro. It's light. It's reasonably easy to fit in and out of the well. It's a long shaft with an alternator. I did not add remote steering and throttle, as it was a bit too pricey for me.

Two mounting problems. First it's an inch or so higher. Some folks cut down the mount to drop it in deeper. I did not. When I get a roundtoit, I'll add a wood base to raise the hatch a few inches. Second, I found the locking mechanism to keep the motor straight without holding the motor tiller insufficient. It moves by itself. My remedy is bar and a pin that will make a positive lock. Third, the fuel connection needs to be disconnected before the drop board is replaced. Not a big deal, really.

I like the motor. It's easy to start and seems to have plenty of power.

All the best.

Terry
Matt

Post by Matt »

I just bought my cd25 last year. This is my first time on this site. My son and I did the madian voyage from Gloster to Boothbay. Great trip, nice boat, but needs tlc including a new motor. I had a sales rep. stop by today with a Tohatsu 6hp to see how it would fit. This was not the Sailpro and it had the internal tank.

It seems that the mounting bracket has been moved forward by about an inch from a previous owner. Because of this, the engine sits too high and forward. The other noticable point was the tiller is too long. I saw on other posts that some folks cut a hole in the hatch for the tiller. I would rather not do that. Another option would be to purchase a remote control and mount it in the cockpit.

Is the bracket secured with a nut and bolt, or is it tapped into a plate? There is no way to the inside of the fiberglass to get at a nut.

Has anyone used remote controls for these engines? I'd rather not have an ugly old tiller sticking up through the hatch.
SurryMark

Post by SurryMark »

Don't know if this is the place to post this, but I have a Tohatsu 6 hp long shaft sailpro, brand new, never filled with gas or oil (unless they test them at the factory) that I'll sell for $1,000. (Check OnLineOutboards.com for the cheapest prices.) Problem is, it's in Blue Hill, Maine and I don't have the shipping box anymore. I just posted a note at our local coop. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

One of the local boat shops did remote a SailPro for a customer. It worked quite well, I am told. It's pricey though.

I wouldn't cut a hole in the hatch, either. The SailPro tiller will fold back nicely. I don't like the idea of a motor with a built-in tank.

As for the mounting bolts: The bracket on my CD became loose, so while changing the motor, I took the thing out. I had my son climb down in the cockpit locker and hole the nuts while I unscrewed the bolts from the cockpit. The original setup had a plywood backing board that was to help strengthen the mounting bolts to the hull. It had compressed badly allowing the nuts to wander around, which is why the mount was wobbling around. I replaced the plywood with aluminum (no local source for stainless). When I put it back, my daughter took a turn climbing in the lockers to put the plates in place and hold the nuts. It worked nicely.

All the best. Terry