Re-packing Rudder Post Stuff Box

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Re-packing Rudder Post Stuff Box

Post by wsonntag »

2nd question today, hey its almost spring, I'm thinking about boats even though a fire is burning on the hearth and its in the thirties outside.

Can I back off and re-pack the rudderpost stuff box on my CD31 while in the water?

I can't decide if the top of the rudder tube is above the water line, I think so.....she has taken to leaking a solid stream when underway, power and sail due to the stern, quarter wave/wake - but no weeping or drips while in the slip that I can see.

Thank you very much in advance,

Bill Sonntag
SURPRISE
CD31 & CD10
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Re: Re-packing Rudder Post Stuff Box

Post by Ken Cave »

On our CD 28, I use the best marine grease I can buy, and use a putty knife to squeeze in the grease around
the post where it comes into the cockpit. I do this about every other year, and it works for us.

I have the boat on the hard at the present time for a repaint, new cutlass bearing as well as a new
muffler, and I have inspected the rudder assembly from the bottom. Unless someone has better eyesight than
me, I have not figured out where to stuff grease from that end.

Hope this helps

Ken Cave
CD 28 Dragon Tale
LaConner WA.
seadug

Post by seadug »

I am not familiar with the stuffing box on a Cape Dory. How do you tighten down on the packing? I have repacked many stuffing boxes on larger boats (shaft and rudder). Usually adding a ring of packing stopped the leak for me. The only time I was concerned was when I had to remove all of the old packing. When I did that it required a diver to pack a special putty around the shaft on the outside of the hull.
Sailing greenhorn
Typhoon hull #516
Stonington CT
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Post by Ken Cave »

Stuffing box:

Unfortunately there is no stuffing box on the rudder on a CD 28 or the CD 30 I believe. I got my information
from a prior message on this board years ago concerning using grease.

Due to the fact that the stuffing box is almost impossible to get to unless you are a very agile monkey
(and I am not-approaching 75) I have installed my PSS system. Of course, the mechanic hates me!!

Ken Cave
CD 28 Dragon Tale
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Post by CruiseAlong »

Bill,
I have been asking the same question on my CD31. The elevation at the packing looks a little too close to call. Like you I suspect I am getting leakage underway but nothing at the dock. The amount of engine shaft drops per minute do not account for the amount of leakaage I am seeing underway. I may have to use some clear hose tubing off one of the seacocks to get a bubble level at that location. I think it is probably within +/- inches. If I remember correctly, there may be some interference with the rudder steering arc just above the packing gland.
Dana