Coaming Boxes

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

hilbert

Coaming Boxes

Post by hilbert »

I was at risk of completing some projects, so it was time to start a new one.
Naw just kidding, none of my projects are near finished.
Anyway I liked the idea of coaming boxes, that would solidly anchor the coamings and add storage to boot:

ImageImage

So I am doing what I can do with plywood, closed cell foam and fiberglass wetted with epoxy resin, starting from the inside out:
ImageImage

Lots to do to make a pair:

I've angled the sides at a 10 degree slope for comfort and I will raise the coaming height by at least an inch forward and more aft.
Last edited by hilbert on Mar 4th, '13, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Laume

Re: Coaming Boxes

Post by Steve Laume »

Great idea. Beef up those winch areas really good.

Raven came from the factory with teak blocks for the winches and they are bolted all the way down through the deck with Alum backing plates.

They can't be too secure, Steve.
Last edited by Steve Laume on Mar 4th, '13, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jonathan:

That is some impressive carpentry work :!: I wish I had just 1/10 the skills you have at carpentry. There are many things I would like to do to "personalize" S/V Bali Ha'i. Sadly, lack of woodworking skills. Anyone need help with the cycling characteristics of a .50cal Browning mounted on the bow of their Cape Dory. :) Just kidding. :wink:

Great job Jonathan :!: :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Robert,

I appreciate the compliment, but I would put it differently. I can do it because I did it and not because I had any skills to start with. I didn't know anything about wood working or fiberglassing when I started and I still have a lot to learn. The most important lesson that I have learned is patience and to start every project by opening a book. I do believe that each successive project has turned out better, with less effort and waste.

Another irony is that I was ignorant as anyone when I purchased Trofast and I would not have purchased her otherwise. The poor condition of the boat was liberating, when I realized that she is project boat.
Last edited by hilbert on Mar 4th, '13, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

That looks like a nice addition. Our 27 has no place to put things in the cockpit. If I put the camera on the seat I know it will end up on the cockpit floor, if I put it on the floor I worry about it being stepped on. I think I'll take some measurements next week when I am at the boat. How do you plan on fastening the box to the boat? Are you going to have access to the bolts that hold the winch on?
I can't wait to see a picture of those boxes installed.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

How do you plan on fastening the box to the boat? Are you going to have access to the bolts that hold the winch on?
There will be two pairs of 3/8" bolts forward and aft through the deck, with backing plates and four 1/4" screws securing the coaming to the box. The winch bolts can be accessed from the storage cutout, on the coaming side. As Steve pointed out, the forces can be great and I've put in a lot of fiberglass reinforcement on the underside and joints. The outer fiberglass skin should also enhance structural integrity.

Bottom panel (not yet glued and fiberglassed to the box):
Last edited by hilbert on Mar 4th, '13, 21:13, edited 2 times in total.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hilbert,

I want to mention something else positive that you did for your self before starting on the coaming storage project.You built a sturdy work bench or table which is at a comfortable height to work on the future projects. I like the storage shelf under the work surface.

A solid place to do work on sure makes it a pleasure to go ahead with projects.

Consider this an "atta boy".

Nice job, :)
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Squid

Post by Squid »

Great project... great job.... But more importantly, what's with the box of Guinness? Please don't tell us you did this good work after polishing off a case of Guinness..!?
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I thought the Guinness was just there for a "test fit". You wouldn't want the coaming boxes to be too small.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

tjr818 wrote:Our 27 has no place to put things in the cockpit. If I put the camera on the seat I know it will end up on the cockpit floor, if I put it on the floor I worry about it being stepped on.
My low-tech solution is to store misc. cockpit stuff in a clear plastic shower caddie. The suction cups keep it in place, usually at the forward end of the cockpit, just out of the way of the companionway. Same solution for the v-berth where there's no storage place for phone, glasses and the like.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Keith

Post by Keith »

Can't wait to see the finished product either. Will you be bolting these boxes to the existing teak coaming or replacing a section of the existing teak coaming?
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Maybe I should change the boat's name to Tortoise. Finally ready to paint the starboard box:

Russell

Post by Russell »

What a terrific idea! Just what I need, another project to add to my wish list. Though I think I would make them longer, reaching all the way along the coaming, similar to the later model CDs, making for a nice seat (sitting on a 1" coaming can be painful). I do not see drainage holes, are you going to add them? They will certainly be needed.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Those are looking pretty heavy duty as well as functional and attractive all in keeping with the original CD construction. Nice job or filling in with glass around the fasteners.

Paint those puppies up and bolt em on, Steve.
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Post by Steve Bryant »

I really feel like I'm missing out on something here that I would like to see. You all appear to be seeing photos in the thread, but I'm not picking up any images or any indication that there are images except from all of your comments. Any ideas as to why? I haven't had this problem with any other threads with photos.
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815