Curious at to what happened to her "Something to Stand On"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

captalex

Curious at to what happened to her "Something to Stand On"

Post by captalex »

It has been a couple years since I sold my Cape Dory 30B cutter named "Something to Stand on" It was a strange experience to say the least as the guy who bought it was backpacking and decided to sail home to Amsterdam. Last I heard he had left the Azores and was headed towards Europe.....The story pretty much ended there..

The guy had 28,500 in US twenty's
1 jar of peanuts
No sailing experience
The clothing on his back

Broker said it was the strangest sale he ever made and the guy would not take NO for an answer

If anyone has seen or heard where my little boat ended up I would love to know

Thanks
Steve Laume

Re: Curious at to what happened to her "Something to Stand

Post by Steve Laume »

You should be able to read the book soon, Steve.
matane

Post by matane »

The title of your post sparked my curiosity. For one- it makes me less stressed about chainplate/rudder issues! For certain things I am beginning to believe that "ignorance is bliss"!!! That is funny as hecc ! The way you described the scenario had me lmao.
As one poster said- this has the makings of a book- 28 grand in 20s.. amazing.

Its also good timing- I'm reading Tania Aebi's Maiden Voyage. She was much more prepared.....

I hope he bought some foul weather gear and a windvane for steering. He actually made it to the Azores???

In a strange sort of way, the name of the boat "something to stand on" fits perfectly into this odessey of his.
Hiking America- to standing on something....at a 30 degree angle and moving through waves of the N. Atlantic..
CD_Sailor

Post by CD_Sailor »

matane wrote: ... I'm reading Tania Aebi's Maiden Voyage. She was much more prepared ...
I suspect there's room for argument here. I met Tania several times following her Bermuda trip. It took well over two weeks to reach Bermuda, and Tania had no idea how sextants worked prior to departure. It was the view of many, myself included, that her father permitted the trip because otherwise she'd have ended up in reform school. In her day Tania was often described as a "New York City Alley Cat," which just might be a good qualification for ocean sailing.