Additional Mast Cleats?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jbenagh
Salem, MA

Additional Mast Cleats?

Post by jbenagh »

I have doubled up lines on several of the mast cleats on my CD30. Several of the cleats have 2 lines on each. Am thinking of adding a spinnaker/drifter halyard. At what point should I add additional cleats on the mast? Do I just add them in a circle around the mast like teh Gloucester fishermen?

Signed,

Too many lines on the North Shore (aka Jeff)
Russell

Re: Additional Mast Cleats?

Post by Russell »

You should have a cleat for every line that could possibly be cleated there. Place them as sensible for each line.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Post by Wingaersheek II »

I wouldn't double up any lines except maybe on a temporary basis. I think any permanent lines should have a dedicated cleat.

Mine are stacked one above the other on the port and starboard sides of the mast, slightly offset, so the lines running to the lower cleats run clear of those above.
Wing & Wing 05a (2011-10-07).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven's cleats are arranged much like those pictured above. You definitely don't want a ring of holes around the mast as that would weaken the spar and make it hard to cleat and stow lines, Steve.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Thanks for the tips and pictures. I'll add a couple cleats below the ones I have.

Jeff