CD30 Main 2nd Reef

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jbenagh
Salem, MA

CD30 Main 2nd Reef

Post by jbenagh »

My mainsail has a set of second reef points. My boom is only set up for the first set. Is there a rule of thumb on where to locate the second set of reef points for the main? Most importantly, where to put the cheek block? Does it vary by how the sail is cut?

Jeff
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Re: CD30 Main 2nd Reef

Post by Wingaersheek II »

Hi Jeff:

The cheek block needs to be positioned slightly aft of the reef clew to pull the sail both down and aft (i.e. to act as an outhaul).

Regards,
Jim
Last edited by Wingaersheek II on Nov 29th, '12, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
Klem

Post by Klem »

Jeff,

On my 30k, I get away with using the same cheek block for both reefs although the angle is a little shallow with the second reef. The disadvantage of this is that I can't tuck a reef ontop of a reef. Also, if you like to leave your lines lead all the time, this would not work, we only leave the second reef lead so it is not a problem.

If you are going to add a block, the location depends on where the end of the line is made off. Some people have an eye on the side of the boom while others tie the reef line around the boom which gives a truly vertical pull. In general, I find that 45 degrees or slightly greater from horizontal gives a good angle of pull.

If you have the time, it would probably help to try sailing with your current cheek block and experimenting with each reef and deciding on an angle. If the angle is wrong, you will end up with either the clew pulling up and away from the boom or a baggy foot.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Thanks. I think I want a second set so I can don't need to undo the first reef. It sounds like I should wait until I have the sail on to measure where to put the cheek block.

Jeff