Yacht Club activities

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Yacht Club activities

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I have a question for my Cape Dory friends. I might be my Yacht Clubs Commodore next year and am looking for ideas to make the year exciting for the membership. We are a club that has been around for 40 years and have been active in racing cruising and socializing. My wife and I use to be in a motorcycle club that did a lot of activities like poker runs rallies etc. I wonder if some yacht clubs might have done similar events on boats. I know the folks from this board have a vast knowledge and deep passion for boating and look forward to your ideas.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Russell

Re: Yacht Club activities

Post by Russell »

I have always thought cardboard boat races were a hoot. Give each team a set of building materials and an allotted time to build their boats (a few hours) then race a rather short course. Typically most of the boats sink before finishing, making for a really hilarious and fun event.

I have seen poker runs a lot, ussually in the powerboat focused groups, tough to do in a sailboat in a reasonable amount of time. I have seen groups of cruisers do dinghy poker runs though.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Thanks Russell. Where are you these days?
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Russell

Post by Russell »

Kevin Kaldenbach wrote:Thanks Russell. Where are you these days?
Been in Annapolis the last 2 months, heading to the outer banks in a month or so then from there I have no idea.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)