Any Typhoon Racing Tips The Ty "ROCKSTARS" Want to Share

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

starboard

Any Typhoon Racing Tips The Ty "ROCKSTARS" Want to Share

Post by starboard »

Greetings & Salutations! i am taking a break from sanding 57's bottom, to ask the fleet top guns to share some basic boat & sail handling tips with us newbee's...

Specifically:
what is the best body weight placement for up & down wind in light to med conditions?
i'm guessing upwind mid cockpit, downwind forward & try to get stearn out of water...

how do you set up your main for light to med conditions?

backstay tension, headstay tension, shroud tension for light air...
backstays are not allowed so how do you induce rake?

ect, ect, ect...

many thanks in advance....
Gather ye Rosebuds while ye may, ole time is a flying... the same flower that smiles to day, to morrow will be dying...
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Any Typhoon Racing Tips The Ty "ROCKSTARS" Want to Share

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Starboard,

So far, I see that none of the Fleet's Big Guns or Rockstars have picked up on your thread so I will offer my humble $.02
starboard wrote:
Specifically:
what is the best body weight placement for up & down wind in light to med conditions?
i'm guessing upwind mid cockpit, downwind forward & try to get stearn out of water...

backstay tension, headstay tension, shroud tension for light air...
backstays are not allowed so how do you induce rake?
When racing a Ty ( oxymoron? ) There really isn't much area to move around in. Unless you are using a tiller extension, the skipper has to remain within arms length of the tiller. The odds are that the Ty is a Weekender (W/E). If the skipper has a crew, it will most likely be rail meat on the windward rail, somewhere between the skipper and the cuddy bulkhead.

As for mast rake, I don't know what you mean when you say "backstays are not allowed." In the rare few times that I would toy around with my Ty's mast angle, I imagine that I would ease off on my forestay and tighten uup an equal amount of my rear stay.

Remember, with the W/E, you have a fractional rig and you might get some unknown (to me) advantage with maintaining the forestay as is and pulling the upper part of the mast sternward. Personally, I don't imagine myself doing that.

I think that you should become more familiar with your boat by experimenting with sail shapes and sheet settings to find what works best for you. In time, it will become second nature to do what is correct and to adjust for the moment.

Best wishes and fair winds,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
starboard

Post by starboard »

Thanks for the reply OJ,
maybe some go fast info is Top Secret... Yes, i will have a tiller extension, seems to me anything you can do to get the stern up & out would help boat speed (less wet surface)... Rules do not allow for backstay adjuster, however i did see one guy with a loose backstay that had been temporarly tightened with a line to a cleat.. (upwind if you rake the mast back you can flatten the main and point higher)...

what i really want to know is shroud upper/lower) & headstay tension for different conditions...

come on guys cough it up.... :) :D
Gather ye Rosebuds while ye may, ole time is a flying... the same flower that smiles to day, to morrow will be dying...
ckelly

Post by ckelly »

I would like to read more go fast ideas also.

My rules;
UPWIND, keep the boat flat by playing the main.
Is this correct or does a little heel help?
DOWNWIND and REACHING, I think a boom vang is essential for speed.
SAILS, I use many tell tails on the main and the jib.

Question; Tiller ext, how long, how fastened, where is it when you do not need it, what material? I have a simple, short wood dowel to tie to the tiller as an extension but am reluctant to use it for many reasons.

I am looking forward to reading yout responses.

Thanks, Chris

p.s. Where is the spell check???
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Chris,

My tiller extension is hinged and can double back on itself. It is easily removable, too.

My personal thoughts are (not necessarily fact, definitely debatable)

When scudding, if I go wing on wing, I can keep the hull flatter.

When on a reach, a little heel gives you more wet area and greater hull speed.

Too much heel lowers sail area and shortens keel depth.

Race on,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490