CD 33 Transmission - Any info on repair or replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jeff Wright

CD 33 Transmission - Any info on repair or replacement

Post by Jeff Wright »

My boat which I hope to get out of the Virginia yard at some point needs either a new transmission or gear replacement. Any info would be greatly appreciated. It apparently got "jamed " into gear. They removed the transmission "Volvo" and tell me it can't be repaired or at least they don't know who can do it or if parts can be found. So I am looking for information or a replacement transmission. The Volvo engine only has about 500 hours and runs fine. Engine is the Volvo MD11C and the transmission is the Volvo MD 2. Thanks in advance for any help. Jeff Wright
Jeff Wright
Janna - Fisher 37
Homeport - Cambridge,MD
Md's scenic Eastern Shore,
Russell

Re: CD 33 Transmission - Any info on repair or replacement

Post by Russell »

I dont know how far your boat is from Annapolis, but I would contact Vosbury Marine in Annapolis, they are are strictly Volvo people, if anyone can help you on the Chesapeake it would be them.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Jack.Ducas

Post by Jack.Ducas »

Jeff,
I very well may have a spare transmission at home in the garage that may fit your Volvo. It came off of a Volvo MD7A .
Private message me at the address below if interested.
Jack.Ducas@Kaman.com
Thx

JD
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

These transmissions are not repairable due to a poor casting arrangement, that fails, usually when one shifts into reverse. It was a major design flaw that Volvo choose to ignore(what else is new?) .
Even treating them with kid gloves, I went through three of them before finally changing engines.
It was a major hassle and expense, not to mention putting my crew through all kinds of high jinks.
If you plan on keeping the boat, I would advise saving yourself some major heart ache and repower and NOT with a Volvo. They are a terrible company when it comes to customer service and standing behind their products.
Best of luck.
Rit