depth thru-hull bevel?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

karonoko

depth thru-hull bevel?

Post by karonoko »

I am replacing Scotia's depth transducer. Before I yank out the bronze thru-hull, I wondered if anyone can tell me what I will find on the outside of the hull. Specifically, is the hole beveled at an angle to accommodate a flush thru-hull fitting? The existing transducer (synthetic?) extends out a few milimeters from the hull and seals to it (no fairing block) - the bronze thru-hull fitting is not visible from the outside at all.

This information will help me in anticipating the angst of routing a 36 degree bevel in my hull. It appears I will have to at least increase the size of the opening about 1/8" to accommodate Moor's transducer.

Thanks!
T. Duffus
gvanbell

Re: depth thru-hull bevel?

Post by gvanbell »

Hard to say exactly what you'll find. When we replaced the through hulls in our CD27 we came across all sorts of interesting issues.

A for the old Datamarine instrument transducer, I seem to remember it having a little bevel on it and it was fared in with filler. As you say, there wasn't a backing block or anything.

You're right about having to enlarge the hole as well, and that was a little harder than you might imagine. I ended up making and fitting a hardwood backing block over the existing hole so that I could re-drill the proper size hole for the new Raymarine transducer. With the backing block epoxied on the inside of the hull, the pilot bit for the hole saw had something to bite into.

-g

http://capedory27.blogspot.com/