Odd Weather II

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Scott Launey
Naugus Fiberglass Mfg. Located: San Diego

Odd Weather II

Post by Scott Launey »

OJ said we Californians couldn't reply to his post on Odd Weather so I had to start a new thread.

San Diego Bay, CA; Jan 1, 2012; 74 degrees; light wind; clear skies; except for the coastal fog creeping over Point Loma in one of the photos.

Great New Year's Day sail along with my dog Lucy (wife stayed home) and a friend in his Harbor 20.

Very Odd Weather indeed!

Scott

Photos by my friend and boat partner in "Angelina" Bob Vincent

Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Scott:

Thanks for posting photos. There is something about a dog on a boat that is very touching.

Lucy looks like a black Lab. She also looks like she has her eyes set on a "feathered friend" (out of picture) and is anxiously waiting for the command "fetch". :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

Beautiful pic's. Thanks for sharing. I love my CD30K, but some day I'm going to have a TY.
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
Scott Launey

Post by Scott Launey »

Robert,
Lucy is a 9 year old Black Lab who loves the water, but she was looking at Charva a King Charles Spaniel who belongs to my friend on the Harbor 20. Lucy spent most of the time lounging on the cockpit cushions so you don't see her in the other photos.

Scott

Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Hmmph

Post by Oswego John »

80°and 74°.

You guys really know how to hurt a northerner.

Hmmph, ;>) lol

O J (just kidding)
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Scott Launey

Post by Scott Launey »

Sorry OJ, but I just could not resist the chance to respond to your Odd Weather post. I just can't figure out how to put up those PVC frames to keep the snow build up off Angelina here in San Diego. Any thoughts?

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Scott Launey wrote: I just can't figure out how to put up those PVC frames to keep the snow build up off Angelina here in San Diego. Any thoughts?

Scott
Hi Scott,

I really don't want to be a prophet of doom and gloom, but do you consider PVC to be strong enough? I realize that you get some nasty weather there. I was just wondering if you might be better off skipping the PVC and using 4x4s for, at the very least, the strong back and the upright supports.

I do want to compliment you on your Angelina. She's a real pretty thing.

Not that it matters one way or the other, but I notice that she has portlights on the cuddy walls. Were they installed by the PO or maybe by you? Just wondering.

Keep your eye on the Weather Channel (big smile)

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Scott Launey

Post by Scott Launey »

OJ, You're up late. I'm the third owner and I know neither I nor the second owner installed the portlights; I've tried to find the first owner, but no luck yet. I'll for sure let you know if I find out the answer cause I'm curious also. The only other mods are the original head was removed and also the mast was cut and a tabernacle made to facilitate mast removal. The old lower portion of the mast is now the compression post.

Stay warm,

Scott

ps; I'll go with the 4 X 4's as you suggest for the snow frame; I know you speak from experience!
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Tom Keevil

California Weather

Post by Tom Keevil »

We just made a trip to San Francisco to pick up a new-to-us dinghy. As we crossed the Siskiyous, the sun came out, and we enjoyed two days of delightful Spring weather. Returning today, as we passed the Welcome to Oregon sign, the low clouds socked in, and we are back in the cold and gloomy Rogue Valley. The only sunshine up here is the Ducks' Rose Bowl victory.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC