Odd Weather

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Odd Weather

Post by Oswego John »

Hi all,

I don't know how the weather is in your neck of the woods, but here in central New York, it is anything but normal. The local ski areas generally open for Thanksgiving break, maybe not in 100% operation but at least several trails are skiable for different abilities. They are just starting to open during weekdays. They advise to call ahead first.

Let me just say that our area is getting a big break on our heating bill. Nights might get down into the mid or low thirties F. When Mother Nature doesn't provide natural snow, the ski areas make artificial snow with portable snow guns. It has rarely gotten cold enough to make snow.

Last week, I heard the weather guy say that at the normal Christmas break in the Oswego area, there is an average total snowfall of 62". That's over five feet of accumulation, minus packing and melting. On Christmas Day this year we received a whopping total of 1.6". Yes, spelled out, that reads one and six tenths inches of snow.

Well, I have to take back what I wrote. It snowed today. We got bombarded with maybe 1" of blizzard conditions. It was rather windy today and in some locations, the snow drifts piled up as high as 1 1/2". But who's complaining? Not me, for sure.

I'm wondering how the rest of the country is making out? Sorry, but Florida, the Gulf States and California are ineligible to respond to this.

Always remember, snow is a four letter word.

Stay warm,
O J

See all the fun you are missing out on.

Flurries last night.
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
bill2

colder

Post by bill2 »

Hey OJ

News from Glen Cove ( there w/family over Christmas ) is that its warm .

That said - you ( and the rest of us ) are due for single digits mid next week - but to recover to above freezing yet again .

No ice boating for you this winter I suspect . . .

Come to think of it no snow either - I bought a big(ger ) new snow blower in Aug and my cousin picked up one in Dec - at great expense ( which is relative of course ) - so it will not likely snow now ! But no complaints.

Fair winds/following seas
-or-
Happy New Year
-or-
all the above

:wink:
Jim Buck

Yep. We too.

Post by Jim Buck »

OJ,

It the same story over in western Lake Erie. Yesterday we got a half inch of wet slushy stuff, our biggest snow of the year The state is rejoicing over the millions saved so far in snow removal costs. But we're told to expect a big storm in the next few days which will dump up to an inch. Oh for sunny Laredo!

(Nevertheless, we did endure the rainiest year since 1883 this year.)

Best regards from 20 degree and dry southeast Michigan,
Jim
Jim Buck
Member #1004
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

The annual New Year's Day polar bear swim in Boston Harbor isn't what it used to be.

It's cold today but going into the 40's for the weekend.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
John Danicic

Odd weather indeed.

Post by John Danicic »

OJ:

The Northland of the midwest is experiencing very low snow amounts and higher temps as well. I noticed that it snowed lightly along the Big Lake last night but with temps in the upper 30s, snow doesn't last long. High winter temps mean lack of ice cover which means more evaporation from already below normal water levels. Mariah's keel is bound to lose some paint next summer if this keeps up.

Here in Minneapolis, it is brown brown brown. No snow to speak of this winter. I am worried that spring will come and we won't feel we deserve it. The end of a hard winter brings a most welcome and satisfying feeling.

Meanwhile, my son, summering at the South Pole, reports the warmest temperature ever recorded down there, 9.9 degrees F. That's above zero. A veritable heat wave from the normal highs of -10 to -20F. Ahh, summer at the southern latitudes!
Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts
Andy Denmark

Rest of the country ........ hmmm

Post by Andy Denmark »

OJ,

Your question, "how is the rest of the country making out?"

I'm getting ready for the annual New Years Day sail. Forecast is 65 degrees and sunny, sandwiches and beer for lunch, supplies and gear layed in to spend the night in South River, 7 miles away, if it looks like I can beat the anticipated cold front (low 30's) back to my dock the next morning. If I come in early there's a warm fireplace, Dark and Stormies, crab casserole, garden salad, sourdough bread (home made), and the last of the frozen blueberries (from the freezer, not the porch).

I can't tell the difference in the piles of white stuff on your house this year from those in previous years. Looks miserable any time. Brrrrr .... Either way, it's too damned cold to sail. But you say it's warmer this year so I trust you despite the fact that it looks the very same as years past. Just sayin .............

Happy New Year
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
Oswego John

Strange Weather

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Andy and all,

You've got a keen eye for detail. Yes, those snow pictures are file pictures from years past. The black Typhoon that is in the picture was sold many years ago.

The ground outside right now is white, barely covering the grass. At this time of year we should have several feet of snow accumulation and the temperature should be about ten degrees colder. Like I previously said, "I'm not complaining". The fuel bill for heating is way less than normal and the City and County bill for spreading salt and sand on the streets is but a fraction ow what it should normally be.

If I carp and complain about the snow and weather, it really doesn't bother me, it's really for effect. I'm probably doing it for undeserved sympathy. I'm kind of used to harsh weather. I lived year round for many years in central Alaska, mostly in Fairbanks. I've worked in all kinds of weather north of the Arctic Circle up to the Beaufort Sea. In comparison, Oswego weather is a piece of cake. God bless lined Carhart coveralls

I suppose that I'm a little envious of someone sailing on New Years Day. There are a lot of others up here who might feel that way. There is no way that a northern sailor, possibly excluding Frank Drysuit who sails year round, ice or not, would plan and prepare for a New Year cruise. You just exclude it from one's realm of thought. To avoid cabin fever and help to preserve our sanity, we count the days until the Boat Show.

But there is one thing going in our favor. There are no mosquitos.

C'mon Springtime.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Oswego John

Strange Weather

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Andy and all,

You've got a keen eye for detail. Yes, those snow pictures are file pictures from years past. The black Typhoon that is in the picture was sold many years ago.

The ground outside right now is white, barely covering the grass. At this time of year we should have several feet of snow accumulation and the temperature should be about ten degrees colder. Like I previously said, "I'm not complaining". The fuel bill for heating is way less than normal and the City and County bill for spreading salt and sand on the streets is but a fraction ow what it should normally be.

If I carp and complain about the snow and weather, it really doesn't bother me, it's really for effect. I'm probably doing it for undeserved sympathy. I'm kind of used to harsh weather. I lived year round for many years in central Alaska, mostly in Fairbanks. I've worked in all kinds of weather north of the Arctic Circle up to the Beaufort Sea. In comparison, Oswego weather is a piece of cake. God bless lined Carhart coveralls

I suppose that I'm a little envious of someone sailing on New Years Day. There are a lot of others up here who might feel that way. There is no way that a northern sailor, possibly excluding Frank Drysuit who sails year round, ice or not, would plan and prepare for a New Year cruise. You just exclude it from one's realm of thought. To avoid cabin fever and help to preserve our sanity, we count the days until the Boat Show.

But there is one thing going in our favor. There are no mosquitos.

C'mon Springtime.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
minke

Post by minke »

Here in Colorado the snowpack is next year's water supply.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19640350
Andy Denmark

I'm relieved !!!

Post by Andy Denmark »

OJ,

Those pictures had me believing that they showed the cumulative effects of 1-1/2 inches of snow. That made me wonder what the 4 or 5 ft you mentioned as "usual" would look like. To my inexperienced eye, that would be HUGE. We wouldn't find you until sometime in the next millenium .........

Today in Oriental was 67 degrees with the same forecast for tomorrow. A bit chilly but certainly temps you can sail in with relative comfort. Temps supposed to plummet to mid-20's Tuesday for a day or two. Glad I have a lot of firewood and Dewars. Big oyster roast at the YC tomorrow and the "Dragon Walk" tomorrow night (the Oriental Dragon, don't you know).

Check out towndock.net for pictures .............
s/v Rhiannon

Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Odd indeed. I took her out for a quick 2 hour fix yesterday.
Near 60F. In January. Had the entire harbor to myself.

wtf?
Andy Denmark

Instead of football regatta 2012

Post by Andy Denmark »

Here's a picture of this years IOF Regatta. Wx on New Years Day was nearly 70 degrees and light winds. Sorry for the picture quality but I stole it from another site.

There were 60+ entries and 57 of them made the race!

[img][img]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff27 ... -01-12.jpg[/img][/img]
s/v Rhiannon