Boom Vang for a CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Boom Vang for a CD27

Post by tjr818 »

I want to install a vang on my CD27. Any Advice?
What type of purchase? 3:1, 4:1 ??
Thanks,
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I put a boomkicker on my boat and I also bought a vang from Garhauer. I think its 4:1 but :oops: I'm not sure. Could be 3:1
Sorry this photo wasn't specifically shot for the vang, but its the only one I have of it right now.

"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Schaefer 35-03

Post by Wingaersheek II »

I replaced mine last season with a Schaefer 35-03:

http://schaeferhardware.com//SearchResu ... goryID=326.

Schaefer also makes this as a 3:1 (35-01), but I think you will want the added mechanical advantage of a 4:1 vang. Additionally they make a lighter weight units they marketed for boats up to 27 'but, in keeping with the stout nature of Cape Dory's, I went with the heavier unit. It was the same size as the unit I replaced, which may have been original equipment on the boat.

I have a second bail further aft on the boom that allows me to use the vang as a preventer
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Hello Warren:

From the photo I think your vang is 4:1 as you suggested. I installed a Garhauer vang on my Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender and was very happy with it. Good quality material and construction.

Also, thanks for posting this photo. It is how I hope to set up S/V Bali Ha'i so her main halyard runs back to the cockpit - perhaps in a year of less.

I assume one of the three lines is the main halyard. What are the other two used for :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote: I assume one of the three lines is the main halyard. What are the other two used for :?:

Oooh let me guess. They are angled back, I would say Reefing lines.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Markst95 wrote:
Sea Hunt Video wrote: I assume one of the three lines is the main halyard. What are the other two used for :?:

Oooh let me guess. They are angled back, I would say Reefing lines.
Right you are. They are reefing lines. However, I found with my sails that if I need to reef I go immediately to my second reef. Boat sails very well balanced and at hull speed with going directly to my second reef.

The reason I mention this for the photo above is that both reefing lines are for one reef. One line is for the tack (luff) reef cringle and the other is for the leech reef cringle...both for the second reef. I can set up for the first reef but I don't use it. Setting up for one reef instead of two cuts the number of lines down by two. Of course there is single line reefing but some think for a 27 footer the friction/tension may be too much to handle. Others say not. I suppose it depends on which single line reefing system you are talking about.

By the way, I installed a tidesmarine mast track which is great. With that, and the lines coming back to the cockpit, I can reef my mainsail from the cockpit in 30 seconds and I don't have to be dead into the wind to do it.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)