winterizing my CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dougw

winterizing my CD27

Post by dougw »

I live in NY state and want to keep the boat in water this year. I am not familiar with the process for easily winterizing the engine. Could someone walk me through the process, getting antifreeze into all sections of engine and water lines? Also what changes or valves to install in order to make the process easier after I sail on those great winter days? (YM8HP)

thank you
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Water tanks and all head plumbing needs to be drained and refilled with antifreeze. Pump lots into the loop to the holding tank.

You can spend hundreds for a safety seacock, which has a second inlet to dewater a bilge or to fill the antifreeze. YSM is raw water cooled, right? Here's the short list. Take the hose off the raw water seacock and run a longer hose to a 5 gal bucket.

Run a hose to the bucket and fill with water. start the engine and warm it up. keep the bucket full of water. Kill the engine, drain the bucket.

Fill the bucket with non-toxic anti-freeze and start the motor, sucking up the a-freeze. when the exhaust turns the color of the a-freeze, kill the motor again.

If the head drain valve works, drain there. open the drain screw on the water lift muffler, and open the raw water pump cover. (pull the impeller if you want to try for two years use.

Diesel fuel stabilizer in a full tank, fresh oil while the old stuff is still warm, and clean the engine.

Batteries trickle charging.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ?pid=14693

Did I miss anything?