Converting Head Sails

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

abcnuzeman
Brooklyn, NY

Converting Head Sails

Post by abcnuzeman »

I've hauled my CD25D after a great season of day sails. I'm going to take my 130% Genoa and Main to a local loft for cleaning and storage. The Genoa was converted from hank on to bolt rope to fit the furler installed by the previous owner. There are a couple other head sails that have not been converted, including a 100% jib and a storm jib. Next season I hope to do some coastal cruising as I improve my sailing skills, and my question is, is it a good idea to have these other head sails converted to a bolt rope, is it worth the expense and how difficult is it to change sails on a furler in real life conditions or should I just furl the genoa and live with the less than ideal sail shape?
David Owens
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Good Question

Post by Terry »

I, too, have roller furled genoa (150%), and two hank-on sails jibs: the original 100% and a storm sail.

I'd like to hear thoughts on the same question about value of changing out genoa for standard jib under sail.

I've pulled my genoa down at the dock, and it wasn't all that easy. Actually, sort of a pain. Perhaps there's something that might make it easier to drop--silicon to make it slide? Thoughts?

I suppose changing out the genoa for the jib might be done beforehand, if wx report call for.

Y'all have a great week, Terry.
Klem

Post by Klem »

With coastal cruising, you almost always have the option of getting into a harbor when there is a bad weather forecast. Obviously, this does not apply to severe thunderstorms but thankfully they are short in duration. Most coastal cruisers never fly a storm jib because they do not go out in bad enough conditions to require it. For going offshore, I personally feel that a storm jib is necessary and I prefer hank on ones.

Given that roller furling sails do not reef well, I would consider having the 100% converted to roller furling. During certain times of the year such as fall, you might consider always using the 100%. Just never plan on changing out a jib underway in rough conditions.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

There was a thread a bit ago about raising/dropping furling sails in brisk wind. It's not easy and the fewer hands on board (especially if it's one), the harder it is. My experience is that "up" is a lot harder than "down."

If you sail in conditions that vary by season, it might be worth converting a sail. If you sail in conditions that vary while you're out on a typical day, I'd stick with the genoa and roller reefing.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Headsail slides

Post by tjr818 »

Has anyone put slides/slugs on a furling headsail?
Just a thought.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
rorik

Post by rorik »

FWIW my sails are hank on. KISS - especially when sailing single/short handed.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Maine_Buzzard

Easier way

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Do you have a twin groove headstay?

Sail changes are easier if you do a peel...

Hoist the jib with the spinnaker halyard, as it won't be getting rolled up. Be on a tack where the windward groove is open.

Slacken the genoa sheet, the jib will slide against the genoa OK.

Drop the genoa on the leeward side, and bunch it up on deck. Keep a couple of bungees close by.

If you are short on sheets, take the lazy sheet off the genoa and use it for the jib. Reverse the other sheet when the genoa is down.

Neither sail is highly loaded when it is moving.
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Oh- I paid $200 to have a small jib converted to luff rope. Does not hurt performance at all.
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Re: Headsail slides

Post by Terry »

tjr818 wrote:Has anyone put slides/slugs on a furling headsail?
Just a thought.
I had that thought for a moment, thinking to make a rope with slugs attached that would fit the furler. But I figured the make-shift jib would have a lot higher psi pulling on the slot than with a more continuous pull of a rope luff.

Though perhaps it might not be too much pull, and not pull out. But IF it did. . . not a pretty thought.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

When I had a CD25 it came with 3 good head sails- a working jib, a 110 and a 135. Theses were hank ons. A brisk single handed sail home through Buzzards Bay convinced me a furler would be my next investment. I converted them to furling,(CDI). Sailrite provided conversion kits with luff rope, foam pad, and everything needed, with very good instructions for a reasonable cost. Worked out very well, the sails reefed down and rolled with nice shape. You do need a decent sewing machine and some moderate experence with it but it was not difficult.........good winter project.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Converting sails

Post by trapper »

I have a 25d. I added a profurl roller furler and I converted the sails myself. it is pretty easy to convert sails. If you do it yourself, it costs about $2 per luff foot.

I have found, however that changing the head sail is somewhat less trouble than installing the roller furler. My brother has a racing foil on his head stay with 2 luff tracks and no roller furler and it is very easy to change but with the roller furler the top gets fouled. I have a black halyard on mine so that new crew will not touch it. My husband has had to go up the mast with pretty much each loosening of the halyard.

I sail on a lake but I had my cd22 on the coast without roller furling. The boat sails so much better with the proper sail --something a roller furling sail is only sometimes. All in all, the worst money I have spent on the boat. If you want to change your sails, use hanks.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Converting sails

Post by trapper »

I have a 25d. I added a profurl roller furler and I converted the sails myself. it is pretty easy to convert sails. If you do it yourself, it costs about $2 per luff foot.

I have found, however that changing the head sail is somewhat less trouble than installing the roller furler. My brother has a racing foil on his head stay with 2 luff tracks and no roller furler and it is very easy to change but with the roller furler the top gets fouled. I have a black halyard on mine so that new crew will not touch it. My husband has had to go up the mast with pretty much each loosening of the halyard.

I sail on a lake but I had my cd22 on the coast without roller furling. The boat sails so much better with the proper sail --something a roller furling sail is only sometimes. All in all, the worst money I have spent on the boat. If you want to change your sails, use hanks.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Conversion works very well

Post by Joe Myerson »

When I bought Creme Brulee she had an enormous deck-sweeper genoa, originally from another boat, plus a smaller jib (maybe about 110%) and what the PO called his "storm jib," which was actually about 100%.

All were hank-on, but one of my first purchases was a Harken furler.

The deck-sweeper eventually became Bly's genoa; the middle-sized jib was so badly worn that I gave it away for recycling as bags, and the small jib was converted for the roller furler. It worked very well, and I continue to keep it on board for days when I might have to drop the genny.

I'd recommend making the conversion.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Thank you Joe!!!

Post by bhartley »

Yes, Joe's former deck sweeper makes an awesome roller furling genoa for our 25D! (Thank you again!). If you have access to a heavy (I mean heavy) duty walking foot sewing machine, converting from hank on to genoa is incredibly easy to do yourself. I did Joe's sail first (after all he gave it to us) to test the waters. Never looked back when I recut our SS23's genny for a CDI furler this year. A fabulous addition.

I must say that as someone who never even had an engine on board until recent history, roller furling is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am a very competent sailor, but I LOVE my roller furling. Best addition to any boat we've had.

Thank you JOE!
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Roller furling

Post by trapper »

I am sure that I am one of the few who do not like roller furling--my husband even loves it! I think that my dislike comes from sailing a cd22 without roller furling and moving to a cd25d with roller furling.

The 22 with a 135 is beautifully balanced in 4k to 15k. Under 4, you need a 150 over 15 you need a 100 or less. So, I would leave the 135 on with a cover. I always put the smaller sail on when the forecast was for a stiff breeze and sometimes switched out when there was little wind. All in all, I did not change my headsail that often and the boat stayed balanced without a distorted headsail.

Where we are now, we have lots of light air days. We also have some heavy air days. The steady coastal 10-15 is rare and we almost always we have gusts. So, one of the first additions was a roller furler to the 25d. I guess I should have spent a year or so changing out head sails so that I would appreciate the rf. My husband has a 40' ketch with rf. We sure could not change those sails out without great effort.
I think I probably just miss the simpler days sailing the 22.

If you convert the sail yourself you can probably sew the luff on a home machine. You cannot, however, finish the tack and head of the sail without a heavy duty walking foot machine.