Inboard jib tracks

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Steve Laume

Inboard jib tracks

Post by Steve Laume »

I saw a picture of a late model CD that had inboard tracks for the jib and that got me thinking.

Raven does not have inboard tracks. She is cutter rigged and has a high cut yankee. There are many times when going upwind that I have the jib sheeted tight into the shrouds. It seems like bringing a sheet inside of the shrouds and in towards the cabin top would help with upwind performance.

I took off the original jib track and replaced it with a much longer piece. So I have some extra track. Any thoughts on bolting it to the deck for tighter sheeting?

This is something I would want to get right the first time. Placement would be a primary concern. I doubt it would present much of a tripping hazard but it would be surface mounted. How far back, what angle, is this even worth doing?

Starting to think about winter projects as we are due for snow tonight, Steve.
Ldybg
CD 28 #125
Raritan YC, NJ

Inboard track

Post by Ldybg »

Steve

Check this thread, it has a picture of the inboard tracks I installed on my 28. I am very happy it.

http://capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Dennis
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

PostPosted: Tue 12/16/08 1:25 pm Post subject: Ladybug's Jib Track Reply with quote
Stan,

Here is a photo I have handy. The sheets go to a turning block on the toe rail then to the cockpit winches. Otherwise they will chafe on the coaming.

Stan, how did you determine the angle of the track? Did you run them parallel to the toe rail? Would things work out okay if they were run parallel to the cabin? What did you do for backing plates?

At least this seems like it would be a pretty easy area to access for a change, Steve.
Ldybg
CD 28 #125
Raritan YC, NJ

Post by Ldybg »

I'll try to look for my notes.

I drew sheeting angles on the boat diagram and sail plans from the owners manual.

IIRC, they are in line from the headstay to an aft turning block. It probably doesn't make much difference if they were parallel (slight difference in sheeting angle).

I used fender washers for backing each bolt. Final placement was also dictated by interior structure, measure three times before drilling holes and double check that each side is the same.

Dennis