Cape Dory 30 Ketch Mizzen Mast Step

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Klem

Cape Dory 30 Ketch Mizzen Mast Step

Post by Klem »

My original mast step for the mizzen cracked this summer while out sailing and it should be replaced this winter. I looked on the rig rite website and was unable to find an exact replacement mast step. They have not responded to my questions (unfortunately this has been my experience in the past with them as well) so I am wondering whether anyone here has figured this one out. My step has a rectangular bottom(3.25X5.5") with 4X 5/16" clearance holes in a rectangular pattern 2.25X4.5". The only mast steps they show for a Spartan CD3 mast section either follow the contour of the mast at the base or are hinged. If the bolt pattern and height of the mast are correct with the hinged one, that would be fine with me. I have also contemplated bolting one of the contoured ones to a plate, I would really rather not change the bolt pattern.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? Alternatively, does anyone with a 25 know the hole spacing in their mast step and the height? The 25 uses the hinged mast step that I am looking at.

Thanks!
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Give Dwyer Mast a call. The boom section is identical to rig rights on a 25D
Bill Member #250.
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

mast step

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

The original cracked on my 36. When I cast a new one out of 5086 aluminum (or was it 5083?) I doubled the thickness of the part that cracked. I cut the corresponding amount off of the mast because it was corroded. The aluminum shrinks when it cools so I taped the original part for the purposes of making a patern. You might ask whoever you buy the new base from if you can get one with a thicker base plate.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If you are happy with the way things are, could you have it welded? Any good fabrication shop should be able to grind out and weld up the crack, as long as the rest of the metal is in good shape.

Filling the old and drilling new holes shouldn't be much of a problem either, Steve.
Klem

Post by Klem »

Thank you all for your replies.

Unfortunately, Dwyer Mast does not have a mast of the same section as the CD3 section. It does look like a great resource though, I will keep it in mind. This did give me the idea to look at the Spartan deck organizer plate and they do give the bolt pattern there and it is different from what I have. Darn.

Matt, I would agree that the area where it cracked could be made thicker. I may well buy the standard casting from spartan and bolt it to a flat plate. This would allow me to go a bit thicker either by cutting the mast short or by milling down the casting.

Steve, welding is a good suggestion but the metal is too far gone in this case. I have all the gear and know-how to do it myself but there isn't really anything to weld. I have debated milling off the rectangular base and welding on a new flat plate.

I keep hoping Rig-Rite will respond and say that they have a direct replacement. It would just make life a lot easier.

Thanks for the help.
Klem

Re: Cape Dory 30 Ketch Mizzen Mast Step

Post by Klem »

I wanted to update this thread in case anyone else is having the same issues. Rigrite found the old casting pattern and made a few (I don't know how many). I just got mine the other day and it looks good. If you look at their website, it is now on their under the CD3 section. I have not yet had a chance to bring it to the boat and compare them side by side.