cd 28 beta 14 repower - how is performance?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mattlydon

cd 28 beta 14 repower - how is performance?

Post by mattlydon »

i recall a couple of members have repowered their cd28's with beta marines. i've been considering it, had someone in my club express doubts as to whether the 14 is big enough, so please give me your feedback.

as i'm going to the Annapolis show tomorrow, and just might be able to cut a deal on one, sooner would be better than later!

thanks,
Matt
rorik

Post by rorik »

I installed a Nanni N2.14 which has the same Kubota base as the Beta. Because I live aboard my CD28, it weighs a bit more than most. Power is fine, pushing my 12,000 pound home to 5.5 - 6 knots. Engine is smooth, quiet and easy to access for maintenance. I did also replace the left handed 2 blade prop with a right handed 3 blade Campbell Sailor prop, which works pretty well.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

weight gain

Post by moctrams »

To Rorik,
How did your CD28 gain 3000 lbs? The manual says it weighs 9000 lbs.
John Ring

Beta 14 is fine

Post by John Ring »

I put a 14hp Beta Marine (BZ482) in my CD28 a few years ago and really like it. It has plenty of power for a 28. The Beta is about half the weight of the old Volvo, and much smaller. It's about 7" shorter, so you'll need a longer shaft. This is actually a good thing, as this frees up loads of space around the stuffing box, enough for me to put in a PSS shaft seal. You'll also need a new prop as the Beta spins the other direction from an MD7A. The Beta will sit 2" higher on the beds, so you'll have to get some aluminum 2x4s from Grainger or McMaster to make spacers & block it up. It's a quiter, smoother motor than my old Volvo, and with glow plugs it starts as fast as a car. The overall installation was very easy, as the beds in my CD28 are 14" apart and fits the standard BZ482 mounts. The motor is 200lbs lighter, taking weight off the aft end of the water line, and the boat sails better as a result. The BZ482 is ideal for a CD28, really don't need more power if you have a good prop on there. The boat holds hull speed at around 2800 rpm in smooth water. You would never really use the extra power of a larger motor, and it would just be more difficult to install as it takes up more space.

If you need more details, feel free to PM me.

Best,
John Ring
CD28 #241, Tantalus
www.yachttantalus.us
Last edited by John Ring on Oct 7th, '11, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
rorik

Re: weight gain

Post by rorik »

moctrams wrote:To Rorik,
How did your CD28 gain 3000 lbs? The manual says it weighs 9000 lbs.
According to the travel lift, I (Mathilda) weighed 11,500 on the last haulout. Mathilda sits right at the top of her waterline.
Figure 55 gallons of water, 23 of diesel, 2 anchors/rodes, books, clothes, tools, spares, a well stocked pantry, etc....
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.