water pump woes....

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RonE58

water pump woes....

Post by RonE58 »

A few months a ago I replaced my impeller on my salt water intake pump for my Yanmar one lunger..., and ever since I have been having all kinds of issues.
Apparently I made matters worse,
Originally I could never tightened the belt properly and would have to redo it ever time when I realized it shifted and was no longer pumping saltwater threw the engine.
I tightened it so many times I broke the mounting skrews.
Then I had a leaking problem, I thought it was the plate seal but turns out to be the pump itself.
I read this is common after replacing impeller, I found the replacement kit for the pumps gasket and washers and stuf onlne for 75$.
However talking to a power boater friend yesterday, he tells me the shaft in the water pump might be bent, and furhter said I should have the pump restored by a professional.
Now I am thinking maybe I should just get a new water pump, which is like 350$. ????
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

I replaced mine

Post by Joe Myerson »

Ron,

Be careful! The raw-water pump on my Yanmar 1GM developed a
"slight drip" around the shaft seal. I let it go for a long time, and it eventually caused the oil-delivery tubes to rust out.

Now that I installed a new pump at the end of last season, that problem is fixed.

I was advised that it is possible to replace the shaft bearing, but that it requires an arbor press and more skill than I have, so I replaced the pump.

It's cheaper than having to replace the oil delivery tubes and clean oil out of your bilge.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Take your old pump to any good marine support facility and they will press out the old bearing and install a new one. Much cheaper than buying a new pump. If you have already bought a new one then have the old one rebuilt as a spare. Check the back side of the impeller cover for wear it may have to be machined or replaced.
Have A Nice Day
barfwinkle

Speed Seal

Post by barfwinkle »

Ron

You mention you have a Yanmar "one lung" engine and I am assuming its a 1GM. Having said that, If you don't have a speed seal, I highly recommend one. Its a no fuss no muss cover for your impeller and make changing the impeller much easier.

Here is a link to the product:

http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I think the engine he's referring to is a yanmar ysb 8,(or 12) single cylinder,common on many earlier CD's.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

I second Speedseal. Heavier plate and makes life much easier especially with my old Volvo which has all the maintenance parts in the rear where they belong (yeah right, I'm still not laughing Volvo). Plus, no more torqued out screw heads. Great item.
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
RonE58

replaced pump...

Post by RonE58 »

I know there were cheaper ways to fix my pump problems, but in the end it was much easier to just replace it. 350 well spent, and one less issue to worry about.
Dry as a bone, beautiful...
Now to tackle the rest of the list, depth gage, replace water tank, complete my cetol project, fix the anchor light, etc.....