Cool Tool

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Cool Tool

Post by wsonntag »

I don't post that much these days on this board but I started a complete exterior teak re-finish on my CD 31 this week and had the opportunity to use the coolest tool I have ever used for this type of work. Its a Fein MultiMaster FMM 250Q oscillating sander, scraper, grinder, saw etc. The slightly bowed edges of the triangular sanding pad allowed me to get in close to fixtures without nicking or marking them like a normal orbital. Anyway, it will make this job a great deal easier. I'm looking forward to sanding the handrails??

Because its the grand daddy of topics here, I'll pass this along too: Working in stages, starting with coamings, transom cap rail, companion way surrounds. Began with powerwashing, Te-ka A, B bleach scrub, sanding with 120, 3 coats Interlux urethane 2 part Clear Wood Sealer, sanding lightly after 2nd coat, no sanding prior to just one coat of Interlux Schooner so far. I figure I'll get away with 4 to 5 varnish coats with the base the urethane gave me. I used urethane resistant bristle brushes for the sealer and foam brushes for the varnish. The grain was very open after 4 years of weathering with no finish what-so-ever. Shes a gonna look sweet!

Bill Sonntag
CD 31
SURPRISE