Temperature of sealant

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dean Abramson

Temperature of sealant

Post by Dean Abramson »

I am going to install my new depth transducer. I have on hand some LifeSeal. Nothing on the tube says anything about temperature parameters for usage.

It's about 60 degrees out right now, but supposed to get down to 29 tonight. That is typical for spring here. Should I wait until it is warmer?

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

When In Doubt

Post by Oswego John »

Dean,

When we were in a hurry and also in doubt, we'd place a bread box or other inflammable container over the area . In the box we'd put an extension cord with a 25W or 40W lamp bulb.

Every so often, check the temp to make sure it is not too hot. If it is too hot, slide the cover open a little until you are satisfied it is a moderate temp.

Happy sealing,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: When In Doubt

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:When we were in a hurry and also in doubt, we'd place a bread box or other inflammable container over the area .
I think he meant to say "non-flammable." (Hoping I'm not too late!)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Dean:

I think this is a link to a chart listing various applications, etc. for BoatLife products including "LifeSeal".

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... lant+Chart

Near the bottom of the chart is a section labeled "Product Attributes" and a section for "Cure Rate" of various BoatLife products.

The chart notes that "curing times subject to atmospheric conditions".

I would think that if there was a specific temperature range they would probably note it on the chart. Since it is absent I would think there is no specific temperature range for application of LifeSeal.

As I am sure you know, generally the colder the air temperature the longer it will take for most paste products to cure.

"Happy caulking" :)

Robert
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Dean:

I happened to find a Good Old Boat discussion of various sealants, adhesives, etc. It is circa 2000.

http://www.goodoldboat.com/reader_servi ... ealant.php

The article discusses a lot of different things to be concerned about with the various types of sealants. It specifically discusses Life Seal which the article says is "a blend of silicone and polyurethane formulated specifically for use with fiberglass". However, the article does not reference any temperature ranges for application so my thought again would be that air temp. should not be an issue.

Robert
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
tartansailor

Sealant Application

Post by tartansailor »

For a while in my past life I was an adhesives chemist, and IMHO temperature within reason, is not a factor.
What is really important is cleanliness, and that includes no condensation
on the mating surfaces. That precludes any early hours of application.
Just to be safe I would use a hair drier to remove all traces of acetone before application.

Dick