Six 10 West

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Len

Six 10 West

Post by Len »

Anyone with actual product experience who would like to comment on the use of Six 10 by West ??
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Len:

I used the Six 10 West Epoxy last Fall when I drilled holes for cam cleats on my CD Typhoon Weekender. I drilled larger than needed holes and "gauged out" some balsa core around the hole and then filled all with the Six 10 West Epoxy.

I am a rookie/tadpole when it comes to this stuff but I found it very easy to work with. I did not use the "600 Static Mixer" but instead used a small plastic plate and mixed the "ingredients" with a small stick. It worked well.

I will use it again for small projects on my "to be purchased" Cape Dory 25D. :D
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I guess I haven't been keeping up with the current epoxy products. This is the first I had heard of six 10 so I looked it up on the West site.

It is an interesting product but not a replacement for most epoxy needs. It seems to be a convenience item more than anything else. I would imagine it works out that you pay for the ease of use. I always keep a gallon of resin and a couple of hardeners with mini pumps. I don't suppose I will be trying out the caulking tubes.

It does seem like a no fuss way to do a little epoxy work.

"Remaining workable in the static mixer for 42 minutes".

I liked this line from the product description. Sounds like a Monty Python line. Not 40 or 45 but 42 minutes.

these epoxy chemists are getting good, Steve.