New owner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

twoss

New owner

Post by twoss »

I recently bought a Typhoon weekender - to teach my granddaughters to sail. At this time I have two basic questions -
Is a 5 HP long shaft ( 20" ) adequate ? What is the best angle
of heel ( for comfort & speed)? I am open to all suggestions.
Jack
Jack
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Yep...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Yep, a 5HP outboard will be adequate for a Ty -- don't know what shaft length you'll need, I know a few Ty owners will jump in with some good advice.

Though the smaller the heel angle the better, the sweet spot for most Cape Dorys is around 15 degrees. 20 Degrees would be fun but very wet in a Typhoon -- best to reef early.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

What Size Outboard?

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Jack,

Welcome aboard. That's a fine boat that you've bought. Good luck with it.

I suppose that the size of the motor would depend on where it is used, what is it's general use is and a few other conditions.

I use a 5 HP engine on my Ty W/E. I sometimes run on a river which, at times, can develop a heavy current. Some owners sail in areas with strong currents. I E: Charleston, SC, passing through Hell Gate, NYC, and running the inlets from the bay to outside and back, etc.

When sailing off my finger float and general bay sailing, half throttle on my 5HP is more than enough power. Going upstream on the river, I appreciate the extra HP that is available. One time, with an onshore wind, I was able to tow another boat larger than mine, who had power failure, away from the breakwater he was drifting toward. The extra reserve power made this possible.

There are Ty owners who are perfectly satisfied with much smaller engines, some as small as 2-1/2 HP. Anything over 5 HP is overkill, considering extra weight and fuel consumption. Of course, if you already possess a larger motor, by all means use it.

Your Ty has a raised, slanted transom. My feeling is that you should position the shaft straight downward and keep the prop as deep as reasonably possible. With your higher transom, I would recommend that you go for a long shaft. With such a transom, I think that a short shaft would, at times, cavitate, especially in rough chop when the hull porpoises.

In a mild breeze, you won't heel very much. In stiffer breezes, as previously mentioned, you will probably heel over to somewhere between 12° and 15°. Then she will harden up at somewhere near that angle.

Good luck with your Ty. We're counting on you to let us know of your sailing experiences this coming sailing season. Maybe consider becoming a member of the CDSOA. Membership keeps this board possible.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Jack:

Welcome to the CDSOA family :!:

I had a Suzuki 6 hp/4 stroke on my 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender. It was part of the package when I bought her. It was a long shaft (LS) 20". The 6 hp was generally more than needed except a few times in a strong head wind and a strong current. Then 6 hp was barely adequate.

You will absolutely want the LS of any O/B you buy unless, as OJ says, you already have the O/B. Most O/Bs are only 20" in the LS; I think one mfg. makes one that is 22" or 25". I do not remember the mfg.

I sailed solo almost all the time. When I went forward to drop/lift an anchor or release/attach mooring lines, the O/B's raw water intake on the 20" LS would still come up out of the water. I am embarrassed to say I weigh about 210 so that may have been a factor. :(

CD Ty Weekenders are sweet. I made a big mistake in selling my Ty Weekender before buying my next Cape Dory. Being "in between" Cape Dory sailboats is a sad place :cry:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

In addition to power requirements I would also consider balance.

While you can't have too much power you can have too much weight. The motor sits very far aft and can significantly upset the balance of a TY. While 6 HP might be useful in pushing the boat into a heavy chop in strong headwinds it will do nothing to increase you speed in most conditions. It will always upset your balance. This is especially true of the heavier 4 stroke engines.

I found the long shaft, 2HP Honda to be a fine engine for the Typhoon.

I think this is one of those areas where less is more, Steve.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I use a 2hp Honda long shaft on my TY. I had a short shaft but it would not do the trick.

I also own a CD31 and in my opinion the TY is a stiffer boat. It also handles following seas quite well. It is a FUN FUN boat!
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
jim trandel
Location: '83 Typhoon Weekender, #1907 "Second Wind" Chicago Monroe Harbor

Post by jim trandel »

My TyW has a 3.5hp Yamaha Long Shaft. I found this adequate, although you must have a long shaft, as it will lift from the water in 2-3ft waves.
Jim
wmbwalker
Bainbridge Island, WA

motors

Post by wmbwalker »

I have a Yamaha 4 cycle 4 hp long shaft and think it is great. Quiet, starts easily, and has a tank on the motor to keep things simple. Simple is what makes Ty's so beautiful.
Bill