installing an autopilot

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

GeorgeH
s/v Spartina
Setauket Harbor, NY

installing an autopilot

Post by GeorgeH »

With the recent snows beginning to melt I am starting to think about installing an autopilot on Spartina. Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular brand and possibly photos of how to attach the mechanism from the cockpit seat to the tiller arm?
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

ST2000

Post by Neil Gordon »

I installed the ST2000 two seasons ago. To be compatible with cockpit cushions, I got the extension kit and mounted the extender on the port side combing.

Installation is easy if you take it step by step but take time to measure, then measure again.

I used some scrap wood to square up the combing so the extender and the ST2000 are in alignment. You can do the same if you mount to a seat. Getting it all level and square is important.

If you can wait, I can send you some pics in April.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Same tiller pilot, different mount

Post by Joe Myerson »

George,

I've also got an ST2000.

I mounted mine directly onto the cockpit seat, which was easier, but makes it impossible for me to upgrade to cockpit cushions without a major effort.

You're better off following Neil's example.

Also, if you get a ST2000, you might want to fashion a protective sleeve out of Sunbrella, or even plastic, as the units are supposedly subject to corrosion if exposed to a lot of salt water. (I have not done so, but I don't use my autopilot in rough conditions.)

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Just clean the unit with a damp rag after use

Post by sgbernd »

If your ST2000 gets salt spray, take a damp rag and wipe it down, including the extended arm, and dry it before you put it away. Although it says not to use lubrication on the arm, after getting a bit of rust, I wipe it down lightyly with a bit of WD40 now and then which keeps the rust off. Mine is going on 10 years of reliable service
Joe Myerson

Just clean it with a damp rag after use

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sgbernd,

That sounds a lot easier than making a sleeve.

One of my friends, who steers his 38-foot trimaran with an ST2000 is the one who suggested building a sleeve. But perhaps his cockpit takes more spray than ours.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
John Vigor

Rombing in the glombing

Post by John Vigor »

Neil Gordon wrote: To be compatible with cockpit cushions, I got the extension kit and mounted the extender on the port side combing.

I used some scrap wood to square up the combing so the extender and the ST2000 are in alignment.
Neil, you have a good Scots name, so you should know. Is a combing the same as a coaming in Scottish? It reminds me of Harry Lauder:

Oh rombing, in the glombing,
Wi' a lassie by my side . . .

Lang may your lum reek,

John V.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Trimaran autopilot spray

Post by Duncan »

Joe Myerson wrote:One of my friends, who steers his 38-foot trimaran with an ST2000 is the one who suggested building a sleeve. But perhaps his cockpit takes more spray than ours.
Ya reckon?

These guys seem pretty smooth, not much spray, no drama around 20 knots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaKX0MsZqMU
Joe Myerson

Ooch, what language werrre they speakin' ?

Post by Joe Myerson »

Duncan,

My friend owns a Corsair (I think it's a 38), but I've never sailed with him. He claims that salt can get into the works of the ST2000 from the shaft as it moves in and out, and he warned me that Raymarine, with its reputation for not-great customer service (before they were purchased by FLIR), would not repair it.

BTW, that's a great UTube video--but they should have had subtitles, although Neil, with his Scots ancestry, could probably understand them. :D

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Scots accents

Post by Duncan »

Joe, I do think the sleeve sounds good - there's nothing like the voice of experience.

Speaking of voices - Scots voice recognition - not possible :)
Joe Myerson

Scots voice recognition video

Post by Joe Myerson »

Omigosh!
I guess political correctness hasn't reached the not-so-United Kingdom :D
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Ooch, what language werrre they speakin' ?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:... although Neil, with his Scots ancestry, could probably understand them.
My grandfather came from about the same section of Scotland as MacMyerson's grandfather did. I suspect they were more inclined to drinking bad vodka than quality single malts (something Joe and I are constantly trying to make up for).
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Tom Keevil

Scottish Weather Forecasts

Post by Tom Keevil »

When we were sailing in Scotland this past summer, we found that getting the marine weather forecast was a substantial challenge. There are no continuous weather channels as we have here. The forecast is broadcast on the VHF every three hours. So at the appointed time you tune in to channel 16, and they tell you what channel to change to for the forecast. The channel is not always the same. They then read it through once, fairly quickly, in a thick Scottish accent, omitting descriptions of the data. For example "wind speed," "sea state," etc are left out, as they assume you know what information they are giving you, and in what order. If (when) you missed any of it, you simply set the alarm to listen in three hours later. On two occasions the broadcast was fatally interrupted by some idiot calling the Coast Guard on that channel. Wind speeds, by the way, are given in Beaufort scale units.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

I have gone through 3 SimRad TP-10's so far. The cause?
Water inside the case, even though they are supposed to be highly resistant to water penetration.

One problem is the alternate heating and cooling between night and day. If a little spray or rain or dew sits on the top of the case around the control buttons the alternate heating and cooling of the unit causes the air inside the unit to expand and contract. When the air contracts it creates a partial vacumn and sucks the standing water into the case. This really adds up after awhile.

I related this problem to another cruiser who gave me an elegant, cheap and simple solution.

From your favorite grocery store buy a roll of "Saran Wrap" or its generic equivalent. Securely wrap your unit round and round from end to end. This makes a great "rain coat" for next to nothing and can be renewed often and easily.

Its easy to see through and easy to push the control buttons for course setting and altering.

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!