What's your sign? (Are you sure?)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

What's your sign? (Are you sure?)

Post by Neil Gordon »

Check out the following article:

http://www.necn.com/01/13/11/Zodiac-Sig ... eedID=4214

It seems that they've changed the dates for Zodiac signs and added a 13th one, all because of some sort of gravitational thingie caused by the moon over the past 3,000 years or so. Last time I had a birthday, I was a Capricorn. Not so next time.

This is astronomical news, to say the least. Do I need to buy a new sextant or will there be some sort of upgrade kit for it?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
pete faga

What was your sign

Post by pete faga »

Thanks for the update Neil. Now i'm a OPHIUCHUS!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I'm thinking some people will need to change the name of their boat, too.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
M. R. Bober

Bob L, help us!

Post by M. R. Bober »

While it is unseemly to ask a respected Astronomer to delve into astrology, questions need to be answered. Bob, will the sky still be up there at night?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (where Triskaidekaphobia can be treated) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
M. R. Bober

Re: What was your sign

Post by M. R. Bober »

pete faga wrote:Thanks for the update Neil. Now i'm a OPHIUCHUS!
Do you guys hold regular services?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where we thank our lucky stars) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Navigation under the New Order

Post by Jim Davis »

This is really earth shattering in scope. As for Neil's sextant, it should be fine in that modern astronomical data shouldn't change. For those of us who still rely on our Astrolabes we will have to purchase a new instrument, or develop an additional correction table. This is not going to be an easy change to make. Also it will make selling our old instruments harder on E-Bay. Unfortunately the best models were made in the Middle East and no one is sure if there is an active manufacturing base still in existence. This will defiantly make a radical change in the accuracy of our instruments.

I guess it is time I modernize and upgrade to a sextant.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Jim Walsh

Lotta bull

Post by Jim Walsh »

I used to be a Capricorn also. Now I'll have to change the way I act and approach life in general.
What a bunch of bull....once a Capricorn, always a Capricorn.
Neil Gordon

Re: Lotta bull

Post by Neil Gordon »

Jim Walsh wrote:I used to be a Capricorn also. Now I'll have to change the way I act and approach life in general.
What a bunch of bull....once a Capricorn, always a Capricorn.
I liked being a Capricorn because as a rule, Capricorns don't believe in astrology. Now what do I do?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Walsh

it's that time of year again

Post by Jim Walsh »

Believe in the IRS. If anyone will remain full of Taurus, they will.
Dick Barthel

relativity

Post by Dick Barthel »

Am I getting this right? The wobble caused by our tiny moon in a universe of infinite objects is upsetting belief systems on earth? Is it possible this oddity skewed the propellor experiments?
Neil Gordon

Re: relativity

Post by Neil Gordon »

Dick Barthel wrote: Is it possible this oddity skewed the propellor experiments?
Are you suggesting that performance relating to locking or spinning your prop is somehow related to your birthday?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dick Barthel

Re: relativity

Post by Dick Barthel »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Dick Barthel wrote: Is it possible this oddity skewed the propellor experiments?
Are you suggesting that performance relating to locking or spinning your prop is somehow related to your birthday?
No I was thinking more like a scientist (yeah right!). If I had to guess, I think I was thinking more about the helicopter falling and the effect the "gravitational thingie" might have on it, the original puzzle.
Bob L

reply to Mitchell

Post by Bob L »

Mitchell,

I happen to have a book from when I was in the 3rd grade which tells all about the earth's precession, including a bit about the constellation Ophiuchus which is partly in the zodiac.

Anyone who has kids who are interested in astronomy should get a copy of this book: 'The Stars" by H. A. Rey. My copy is dated 1952 but it's still in print. Perhaps, after reading the book, your kids could tell all about precession of the equinox.

However, there's another thing to worry sailors. The earth's magnetic field is moving around. The north magnetic pole has accelerated in movement, now about 40 km per year. Think of the charts that will have to have a new compass rose; will GPS satellites automatically correct our GPS receivers?; or should we just go back to the stars and navigate by true north? This is far more serious to sailors than the precession of the equinox.....Let's get our priorities straight!!!

Bob L