Boat cover

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Doug Pearce

Boat cover

Post by Doug Pearce »

Good evening, I am the proud new owner of a 1975 Ty Weekender. While I am not new to sailing, I am new to CD and to this board. (My CDSOA application went in the mail at 0900!) Presently my new "baby" is under a Home Depot tarp in my driveway. Has anyone had any experience purchasing a "custom" boat cover (Sunbrella?) for the Ty. Thank you. Doug
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Fairclough cover

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

I've had a Fairclough cover for my Typhoon for the past 5 or 6 years and I'm happy with it.
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

I would also recommend Fairclough

Post by Chris Reinke »

I had an old heavy canvas tarp we had custom cut ourselves for our CD330, whihc had lasted 8 years, then we bought the Fairclough cover and frame system.....what a big difference. I should have bought the new cover years ago. It is much easier to erect the frame and the installation was much easier (faster) than our old cover. Fairclough has the dimensions of most Cape Dory models and can offer a competitive price quote via their web page, or give them a call. I had to make a few adjustments to the dimensions they had on file to accommodate my custom bow rail, and a stern mounted radar mast but that was easily accomplished with a few measurements and digital photos.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I'm not sure but I think Hypobaric wants a summer cockpit or mooring cover for his Typhoon, the kind you cover the boat with after returning to the mooring or dock.

Hypobaric, do you want a summer cockpit/mooring cover (Sunbrella) or a winter cover (heavy-duty canvas)?

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Summer Cover

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Hypobaric,

I see by your heading that you are the proud owner of a Ty Weekender. Great choice.

If you are thinking about a summer covering, probably one of the easiest and most cost efficient covers is a boom tent. These can be as fancy or as plain as you want.

If the Ty will be on a mooring, the bow will be always into the wind. The tent can be designed to have two flaps on the forw'd edges to wrap around the mast an be secured with velcro.

Tied up in a slip, the tent can be designed to afford protection from all directions with the use of flaps on the aft end.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
SurryMark

additional question

Post by SurryMark »

I'd like to add to this question:
Fairclough seems to be the premium cover. With the off-season discount, a cover for a 27 is a bit under $1900. That's over six years of shrink-wrapping. Shrink-wrapping is environmentally trashy, but . . .
Your thoughts? arguments? condemnations?
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

From a strict financial perspective

Post by Chris Reinke »

Mark - I would agree that the cost for the Fairclough winter cover is not cheap. I guess it is more of a personal choice, but I can offer my experience. I believe my CD330 cover was all-in around $2200 4 years ago, including the frame system. I think the shrink-wrap option was around $400 so I figured the break-even was when I installed the cover for my 6th season. I realize some folks are able to remove the shrink-wrap and reuse it...I am not that precise. I also know that the time value of money and potential interest earnings would impact my payback calculations...but I never invest money from my "boat account" and manage to spend whatever I have available so interest impact is zero. My Fairclough cover is now on for its fourth season and I anticipate it lasting past the original 6 season life I had predicted so I guess I am going to make out ahead of the game. I don't know anyone who has had to replace the Fairclough cover due to wear and would welcome some feedback from the board as to expected life of the cover. I did have to make a small repair to my cover after the first season ($120) for a few small tears that developed from the stern ladder hardware creating stress points and pushing through the cover. I have since learned my lesson and I swing the hardware inboard when I install the cover. Other than that I see no reason I should not get 4-6 more years out of the cover.
aguertin

Fairclough life

Post by aguertin »

Hi All,

I replaced my Fairclough canvas this year for my CD33. The old cover was a 1996, and they say life expectancy is 10-20 years, depending on how much you baby it. (Leaving it on the boat for a summer will add years equivalent of winter UV exposure.) It ran me about $1500 for a new canvas; still using the original frame. Two more thoughts: Fairclough covers have vents, to let the boat breath, and access doors for winter projects and visits.
Jim Buck

RE: Summer and winter covers for a Ty

Post by Jim Buck »

Hypobaric,

I have a Ty daysailer which is currently under winter cover that consists of a series of hoops made from 10 foot sections of 1/2" cpvc water pipe bent over a tall and long saw horse in line with the keel. I use a cheapo blue tarp and lace the grommets with a line under the keel. With the drain plug pulled and a little wiggle room in the tarp at the bow, I think I get some ventilation.

During the summer at the dock my Ty is protected by a mooring cover made by Sailor's Tailor for about $400. They have some small photos of three different Ty's with covers at their website. http://www.sailorstailor.com/products.asp?cat=28 (FWIW, my vessel is pictured in the middle.) I have no affiliation with this company but know through my experience that they are very pleasant to work with and have a very nice product.

I investigated the Fairclough ($1900) and the Canadian made Navigloo cover (~$500Cdn). The Fairclough was deemed too expensive and the Navigloo would require a trip to the Windsor Costco. I decided to make my own using the flexible pipe and strongback method and am glad I did. It recently stood up to 45mph winds and 6 inches of snow. Cost = ~$75.

Hope this helps.

Congratulations on your purchase of a fine vessel!
Jim Buck
Member #1004
WaywardWind

mooring cover

Post by WaywardWind »

A simple, but effective, mooring cover is dirt simple to sew yourself. Some Sunbrella (seconds from eBay, or brand new from Sailrite, some cheapo grommets from Home Depot, or premium
spur grommets from Sailrite (along with the special die setter), some V-69 thread (eBay or Sailrite), most any home sewing machine(*), and some time you're done.

Make a tent over the boom to each side near (but not over) the gunnell, edges doubled over so the raw edge is inside (use stables -- be SURE to remove them afterwards as they rust -- and/or press the seam over with a cotton temp iron) and stitch. Sew front panel(s), either to the tent or install grommets to lace front panels to tent.

It will last years. If you want a winter cover as well, repeat the front panels on the back.

If you are in the NYC area, I can sew it for you, but you can do it yourself.

* For this project, most any home sewing will work. If you are using a flyweight, el cheapo machine it may take you longer, and you may break some needles, and perhaps the stitches may not be perfect (not noticeable from a distance of greater than 10 feet). Most every other home machine capable of maybe sewing the cuffs on a pair of blue jeans at slow speed will work well for this simple project.

Good luck to you.
ronkberg

I may have the cheapest cover

Post by ronkberg »

Hypobaric, congrats on buying one of the best CD's. Typhoons are really a hoot!

I use a green/black 10'X20' tarp purchased from Hamilton Marine. It is drapped over my mast, supported on bow pulpit and wooden frame aft, and is held down with bungy cords. It has worked well for about 6 years up here in Maine. Snow load is minimal because it is tight enough to shed most loads. Has withstood all coastal winds although she is somewhat shielded from ocean.

I fold and store it each spring and have only had one grommet fail due to my pulling it too tight.

I will take a photo and email it to you if you desire.

Regards, Ron

PS, I'll guess cost is less than $50.
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Doug Pearce

Boay Cover

Post by Doug Pearce »

:D Thank you. I am overwhelmed by the the help and great advice! Y'all (I am in Nashville, TN after all) have got me thinking about my question. Linda is correct. I want a summer cover. But, I want a winter cover. During the summer the the boat will be at a dock or on a mooring. (I haven't quite worked that out yet.) Either way, exposed to the elements. By October I need to pull her out and store her outside on her trailer, lest she be in the mud. (They drop the lake.) So ideally, I would think a Sunbrella type cover, at least from the mast to the stern ( to protect the beautiful wood) but bow to stern would be best. I have a Catalina 25 (Anyone want to buy it?) that the prior owner had a custom awning company make a similar cover for but he said it was quite expensive given that they had to come out and measure it and then make only one. Again, thank you. I am thrilled to be a CD owner and a part of this organization. Doug Pearce