Xantrex Truecharge2 Batt Charger "Value Pack" A Go

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jim Evans

Xantrex Truecharge2 Batt Charger "Value Pack" A Go

Post by Jim Evans »

Defender and several other vendors are advertising the Xantrex Truecharge2 battery charger "value pack", which includes the remote panel and temp sensor. The 20A package is just over $200 for the package. It seems like a pretty good deal - what's the catch?

I have the Xantrex 20A Truecharge system, installed by the PO, with a remote panel. It's at least 6 or 7 years old; not a bad system, but the terminals where the wires to the batteries are connected to the charger are very sensitive to any movement; it's an issue internal to the charger. Xantrex support was very helpful, and they advised retightening internal screws in the terminal area. It helps a lot, but I have to do it once a year or so, and it's a hassle. I understand the Truecharge2 fixed this problem, along with some other issues.

Anyway, any experience out there with the Truecharge2 battery chargers, with remote panel? I'm using lead-acid batteries.
Jim Evans
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

40A True Charge 2 Experience

Post by Doug Gibson »

Hi Jim -

I purchased the 40A version of the True Charge 2 from Xantrex last summer. I was replacing a 100A Prosine Charger/Inverter that died after 3 years and was determined to be 'unrepairable' by Xantrex. Not wanting to spend another $1400, I went for the basic battery charger without Inverter (I have a small 400W inverter I hookup for trips to operate/charge laptops and personal electronics).

So far, so good. It does a fine job charging 4 Grp 27 gel cel batteries. I did buy a remote panel - not so much for the incremental control/information, but rather to fill the hole left by the old Prosine remote control panel. I have not hooked it up yet and feel I get all the status information I need to monitor the True Charge 2 operation from its built-in LED indicator panel (and my battery monitor instrument). So... I don't think its that critical to purchase the remote panel.

I have not had any problems with the wiring connections.
Doug Gibson
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Xantrex Truecharge2 Batt Charger "Value Pack"

Post by Oswego John »

Jim Evans wrote:
I have the Xantrex 20A Truecharge system, installed by the PO, with a remote panel. It's at least 6 or 7 years old; not a bad system, but the terminals where the wires to the batteries are connected to the charger are very sensitive to any movement; it's an issue internal to the charger. Xantrex support was very helpful, and they advised retightening internal screws in the terminal area. It helps a lot, but I have to do it once a year or so, and it's a hassle.
Have you thought about using something like LocTite Thread Locker on the internal screws?

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
marv brinn

term block

Post by marv brinn »

can you describe how the screw is attached to the block ?are the wires going into the block or is there a terminal at the end??
none
Jim Evans

Block Description

Post by Jim Evans »

Well, I think it's a mickey-mouse affair. It's a tube, perhaps 3/16" id, that the battery cable fits into, and there is a screw to hold the wire fast. The issue I have is that there is another screw inside the charger that secures the wire block to the board, and that screw, while tight, seems to build up some resistance, perhaps from corrosion, that makes the connection to the board very sensitive to any vibration or motion. If I work that screw back and forth a bit and then retighten it, it makes a good connection that lasts about a year or so. This was suggested to me by Xantrex technical support, and it seems to be a good suggestion.

Anyway, I just received the new Truecharge2 Value pack, and it is a much improved design for attaching the battery cables to the charger. In the spring, I'll do the install, along with replacing my battery cables.
Jim Evans
marv brinn

connection

Post by marv brinn »

You have some type of connection issue...I cant visualize the connection.but here are some thoughts backed up by 25 yrs of connector experience.
you may have a connection that loosens up over time..dab the joint with a connector paste or tuner spray. then tighten it up and secure the thread with medium grade lock tite. even though the connection is tight it may creep away from the screw over time..somthing like the old aluminum wire problems found in 60's homes.

you may have a fretting corrosion problem. where two disimilar metals build up corrosion under vibration..spray with above and try to isolate the connection from vibrations
none