Good EPIRB Pricing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

The Patriot

Good EPIRB Pricing

Post by The Patriot »

I just ordered a GPS-enabled ACR EPIRB for some friends who are heading offshore soon. The ACR unit is listed at Defender for just a bit under $400, which is very good pricing. I think I paid close to $700 for the same unit about 2 years ago.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1505894

Note that when ACR reduces prices on something like this is it usually indicates that they will be introducing a new model soon. Nonetheless this is a superb unit with integral GPS capability (important) and should be of interest to anyone who needs this type of gear.
Russell

Re: Good EPIRB Pricing

Post by Russell »

kerrydeare wrote: Note that when ACR reduces prices on something like this is it usually indicates that they will be introducing a new model soon. Nonetheless this is a superb unit with integral GPS capability (important) and should be of interest to anyone who needs this type of gear.
That model is actually already out of date, I dont think its been sold for over a year at least, perhaps more. I am suprised there is still some available for sale.

Nothing wrong with it though, its the same one i have. The newer ones are a little more compact and have an unnecessary LCD display. And that is a GREAT price, definately jump on it if you are in the market or on the fence for one.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
The Patriot

Re: Good EPIRB Pricing

Post by The Patriot »

Russell wrote:That model is actually already out of date ... I am suprised there is still some available for sale ...
I'm not up to date on this product, having bought it on behalf of a French friend who is heading out soon and has no local shipping address. However I note that this site

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... os=sellers#

currently lists 48 stores offering this item so perhaps it is widely available. With the exception of Defender and "Abe's of Maine" I haven't done business with these stores and cannot recommend them, yet I'd venture that Defender as a supplier is enough recommendation.