Cape Dory compared to Allied Princess

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ron Churgin

Cape Dory compared to Allied Princess

Post by Ron Churgin »

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here has experience sailing a 36' Allied Princess and if it handles in a comparable fashion to a Cape Dory. The sheer lines seem similar, but the draft is only 4-1/2'. This is of interest to me because I am thinking of moving up to a larger boat but am constrained by my sailing waters. I think I can get away with 4.5' but not much more.

The AP looks like it has a full keel, that is encapsulated and seems similar to our beloved CDs. They are often ketch rigged at that size but also come in cutter and sloop configurations.
Ron Churgin
MFC
Hull No.128

allied

Post by MFC »

There was a member of the board named Mike moved to an Allied Princess or a Mistress within the past year or so. I remember him posting shots of his new boat. Search the archives -- you'll find something and Mike is probably the best person to offer comparisions. Nice boats.
Matt
doubleb

Try this

Post by doubleb »

If you archive Michael Phillips (Kayla) a 28' CD you find a great wealth of information, if you PM him I am sure he will answer all your questions.
He moved up to a 36 AP, he is a great guy to know!
We saw the boat right after he took ownership and it looked great
http://www.sv-tranquil.org/

Good luck
B.B.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Ron,

I just sent you an email. Where is the Princess your are looking at located? There have been several on the market down here.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Russell

Post by Russell »

Allieds are great boats and amazing values. Overall structural build quality I think you will find to be on par with Cape Dorys, heavily laid fibreglass, definately overbuilt. Finish quality does not match Cape Dory, interior woodwork, port lights, etc...

Certainly solid cruising boats that can handle weather just as well as a Cape Dory. Side by side a cutter rigged Princess should perform just like a CD36.

Another similar boat if you are looking for basicly a "less expensive CD36" is a Alberg 37, which I think actually has prettier lines then the CD or the Allied. Interior space will be less though.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

We looked at an Allied Princess and Luders 33 before we got our CD 33. The Luders 33 was my preferred boat for a long time - price, sailing qualities etc. My wife thought the Allied Princess was way too big to drive comfortably, but the room below was pretty large. The Luders was too small below. Looking at the hull, the rig and the numbers I really think the comparable Cape Dorys 33-36, will sail better more consistently than the Princess and I have heard this is true from cruisers. The Alberg boats just have a slippery shape with a little less beam and that refined hull form.

An old sailing friend, who has owned and sailed many pedigreed boats, once told me he always thought the Alberg boats moved through the waves better than any other similar design.

Paul
Paul
CDSOA Member
Boyd

I surveyed one many years ago.

Post by Boyd »

While looking for my MkII I had an offer on one and surveyed it.

My main observations were:

Much poorer interior cabinet work than a CD. Almost crude in some instances.

The fuel tank was in the bilge and fabricated from CorTen (sp?) steel or possibly Stainless we couldnt really tell. Needless to say it was rusted to near oblivion. Quite a nasty situation to fix that would have required taking out the sole.

She was a ketch and needed new standing rigging. At an average of $100 per wire the extra wires really add up. The sails were at their end so the extra expense of a mizzen was an annoyance.

The mizzen made installing a bimini and dodger challenging to say the least.

She had worm gear steering and the layout made installing an autopilot more of a challenge.

Engine access was not great.

On the plus side she seemed to have a good hull and generally was a solid boat with lots of space.

I passed and never looked back. A lot of your decision depends on the condition of the individual boat.

Good Hunting...

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD 30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Boyd's comment about the corten fuel tank is very valid. Tranquil's tank was "de-commissioned" by the original owner but on replaced by 13+ gallon tank originally installed for a diesel heater. Once I remove the ancient water heater and reefer compressor, I will have a new tank built and install it in the forward section of the starboard cockpit area. This will also be directly under the original fuel filler on deck.

And, yes, some of the interior wood work leaves a bit to be desired, but there are sections that are marvelous. The 5-drawer cabinet starboard of the head and the hanging locker are great. I also know that some of our interior was re-done by the prior owner and is not quite what one would expect. However, for a 37+ year boat with hull that will surely outlast me, I can tackle a few projects from time to time and make her a bit nicer. Since we bought her drastically below value, we ain't complaining (too much...). :D :D
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!