8,000 miles and other milestones for breaking out the grog?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

8,000 miles and other milestones for breaking out the grog?

Post by Chris Reinke »

Not that we necessarily need an excuse for breaking out the grog....but wondering if certain sailing milestones deserve an extra portion for the crew. This past weekend we surpassed 8,000nm cruising miles and the crew quickly voiced an opinion that they had earned the extra portion. They were quickly satisfied and the conversation turned to what other sailing milestones might deserve an extra portion. I think the crew is hopping that we already surpassed some other milestones and they can collect on past-due portions. We would be curious to hear if any standard milestones exist.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Break Out The Grog

Post by Oswego John »

Now that you mention it, I know one milestone that very shortly will be passed. So get ready to break out the grog, or in this instance, break out the single malt.

Our own Neal Gordon, Fleet Captain of the Northeast Fleet, will shortly post his 2,500th message to the CDSOA board. Neal, the king of acerbic wit, the master of double entendres, a sailor who is never without a challenging rebuttal to any situation that may arise, is now hovering in the high 2,480s.

Many of us will be watching to see Neal hit the magic number and we will raise a toast to one of our more prolific contributors.

Here's to ya, Neal,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Keep a good supply on hand, as it's quite possible for OJ and I to get to the magic message number within moments of each other.

(Drinking once and toasting twice would be cheating!)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
DaveCD28

Post by DaveCD28 »

Every time I return to the dock or drop the anchor I consider that a milestone for celebrating with plenty of grog. :D
gates_cliff

Inspiration

Post by gates_cliff »

Well, since I'm a teetotaler I have to salute such accomplishments with an O'douls or something similar.

On the other hand reading about this adds some much needed inspiraiton. Work, family committments, other outside obligations have limited the progress I'm making on KatieGirl and it's frustrating. I have so many projects that need doing in order to do even some overnights that I am disappointed in myself. I'd love to just be able sail across the Bay and anchor for a night, read a while, sleep, eat, whatever. Have yet to do it.

I feel almost guilty if I hire work out since I do have some experience doing all manner of boat work though.

ah, I ought to quit complaining, how many people would be thrilled to be able to just go down to their very own 27' sailboat and just enjoy the time away from the hassles of daily life!