snaging sheets on cleats

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JBA

snaging sheets on cleats

Post by JBA »

Hello all,

Does anyone have a problem with sheets wrapping on mast cleats or fore deck cleats? For me, this happens occasionally on tacking but more frequently on gybing. Any suggestions?

JBA
John Vigor

Stemhead line

Post by John Vigor »

JBA, the old remedy was to tie a tight line between the mast (above cleat level) and the stem-head fitting. All sheets then ride up and over the line without snagging anything.

Cheers,

John V.
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

I had this problem frequently and realized the way to solve it is by always keeping the lazy jib sheet not taut, but almost. This has virtually elimanated the problem for me.

I did see a clever alternate solution in a book. It consisted of two short oblong shaped blocks of wood connected by two short bungees that fit under the horns of the cleats when not being used. This prevents the lines from getting caught.
Ron Churgin
cguthrie

Same problem

Post by cguthrie »

Yes, I get the same problem, especially when single handing when it is most inconvenient, and like Ron I found that keeping the lazy jib sheet taut helps a bit. When I tack and set the sheet, then I transfer myself to the windward side of the cockpit and set the jibsheet there for the next tack.
Cliff Guthrie
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

Another vote for keeping the lazy sheet fairly taut. I tore a vent off the coach roof to learn that.
Ldybg
CD 28 #125
Raritan YC, NJ

cleat covers

Post by Ldybg »

I haven't had trouble with mast cleats, but have caught the foredeck cleats with jib sheets. I've made wooden cleat covers to go over each horn (bungeed together). Learned this from a racing boat, also helps in reducing "toe stubbing" when going forward.

Dennis
DaveCD28

Post by DaveCD28 »

Haven't caught the cleats too often, but I've caught my forward hatch a couple of times even though it's always closed when sailing.

I also caught my girlfriend once who was sunning on the foredeck. Luckily the wind was light that day. Needless to say she did not find it amusing. :wink:

-Dave
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

thats right John V... :wink: winthrop
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Foredeck hatch

Post by Joe Myerson »

Like Dennis, I find that my lazy sheet sometimes snags on the edge of the foredeck hatch when I'm singlehanding (which is most of the time).

Keeping the lazy sheet taut -- but not tight -- seems to be the best remedy. I try to keep one wrap, and only one, around the lazy winch.

Has anybody tried rigging a line, as John V. suggests, that would prevent that hatch from snagging?

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

I'll try John Vigor's solution

Post by Gary M »

This past Saturday morning I was leaving Catalina Island. I was single-handling, and my jib was secured with heavy rubber bands ready to hoist.

My procedure is to hoist the jib, break the rubber bands, then sheet the sail in. It was early, I wasn't thinking clearly, and I pulled in the sheet first right back to the fore deck cleat where it jammed.

The sea condition in "Windy Lane" just outside of Catalina this particular morning made me hesitate going forward to clear the jam. It ended up to be about two hours before I felt it was safe to go to the fore deck.

I now want this problem to be solved!
John Vigor

Re: Foredeck hatch

Post by John Vigor »

Joe Myerson wrote:Has anybody tried rigging a line, as John V. suggests, that would prevent that hatch from snagging?

--Joe
Yes, John V. has. Many times and for many years, both racing and cruising. You have nothing to lose by trying it.

John V.
Andy Denmark

I second John V's method

Post by Andy Denmark »

This has been SOP on all my racing boats for years and I often use it single handing. It's a simple "vee" bridle that attaches to the "keepers" on the bow chocks, ties to a single line led back to an eye at the lowest position of the spinnaker pole track.

On the Moore 24 we used a couple of sail ties to accomplish the same thing.

Simple and it works nicely.
________
IPHONE GAMES
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

You have nothing to lose by trying it.
John V. and Andy:

In fact, I've got everything to gain from trying it. I'll do so when I get back onboard.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
ronkberg

Gary here's an idea

Post by ronkberg »

I've had the same problem but keep my extendable boat hook handy and can clear the line w/o need to go on the foredeck. I do as others have suggested with a taught offside genoa sheet but I have forgotten a few times. Now I will tie a line as suggested by John V. although I do not like any extra line on the foredeck to stumble on. Gotta make it easy to rig/derig such that I can drop it prior to going forward. I have a roller furling system that usually lets me stay in the cockpit so the only time I go forward during a sail is when something goes wrong.

Regards, Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Joe Myerson

I'm with you, Ron

Post by Joe Myerson »

Ron,

I'm also concerned about adding an extra line to the foredeck, especially as I have to run forward to catch the mooring or drop the anchor. And I'm standing and kneeling at the base of the mast whenever I have to tuck in or shake out a reef.

But there should be a way to rig one that can be taken down quickly.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627