Some questions about sail handling

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

versine

Some questions about sail handling

Post by versine »

Hello,

I had two little questions for you, about sail handling when you are alone.

Raising the main without autopilot : I have read the "method" of Neil : coming head into the wind, put the engine in neutral and rise the main ; but how du you trim the mainsheet before ?

Dropping a hanked jib : if the halyard run to the cockpit, is a jib downhaul truely necessary ?

Thank you by advance.

Best Regards

Jacques
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

When I raise my main, I am not under power, I have the main sheet loose, and raise the main from the cockpit. If you have a main with the halyard winch on the mast, just raise it from there.

As to jib downhaul, I haven't needed one most of the time. What I usually do is backwind the jib by heaving to. Then, I just release the jib halyard and it drops onto the deck. If I need to go forward to tie the jib down the main keeps me headed into the wind.

If I head out without the jib up, I usually hank it on and use the jib halyard to hold it down with a wrap around the deck cleat and over the jib. It works fairly well.

In Cape Dories up to 27, single handing is not usally a problem. Just reef before you need to and be careful when going forward (harness and vest).

Bob B.

CD Typhoon Liberty
Former owner of CD27 and 25D
versine

Post by versine »

Thank you very much, Bob.

Can I ask you some precisions about your boat :

1) your main halyard run aft to cockpit, but how do you take a reef ?

2) I assume that your jib halyard run aft also to cockpit : is it true ?

Have a nice day

Jacques
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

True for both halyards running into the cockpit. As to taking a reef, I usually drop the main to a point where I can hook the tack onto a rams head (tack hook) near the gooseneck of the boom. Then, go ahead and tighten up the halyard again. Use the reefing line to bring the cringle at the reef point up and tighten the foot of the sail. Then, I use the reef point lines to bunch the sail or tie around the boom for a boltrope foot. It is pretty easy and a smooth process, the boom does sag some when I drop the main for reefing until I start to pull the leech end back up.
I usually reef the main when I've eased the main sheet to relieve the pressure on the sail.

Bob
versine

Post by versine »

Thank you again, Bob !

A little precision : it seems to me that your reef line don't run aft to cockpit, but is it the reality ?

Best regards

Jacques
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

No. The reef line runs from the aft part of the boom, to the reef cringle and then back to a block on the boom and then is cleated to the boom. I am in the cockpit when I draw on the reefling line and cleat it directly to the boom. They don't lead near the gooseneck like some do.
Hope this helps.
Bob
versine

Post by versine »

Thank you for this precision.

Regards

Jacques
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

None of the lines need to be lead to the cockpit. The halyards on our CD33 simply come down the mast. I use the mainsail sheeted in tight to keep the boat head-to-wind and leisurely hank on or off the jib. Raising and lowering the jib needs to be done fairly quick since the sheeted main has limited ability to hold the boat. Size of the boat seems irrelevant except that the sails get heavier and take longer if you need the winch. On the other hand, greater size of boat gives you more time because of the boat's inertia.

It does help to avoid overly large jibs, and to reef earlier rather than later.
Steve Darwin

Sail-raising sequence

Post by Steve Darwin »

I learned that the aftermost sail (main sail of a sloop, cutter, or schooner) is the first to go up and the last to come down. I raise the working jib while still at the mooring because it won't flail against the mast or rigging, but the hank-on Genoa I raise after we're under way and sailing (with the mail sail) somewhat off the wind. And it's easier to handle the mooring lines without a big jib pushing me off the foredeck.
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Some questions about sail handling

Post by Neil Gordon »

versine wrote:Raising the main without autopilot : I have read the "method" of Neil : coming head into the wind, put the engine in neutral and rise the main ; but how du you trim the mainsheet before ?
I let the main sheet out so the boom can swing about to the combings on either side. If it's breezy, the bow will blow off before the main is all the way up. Partially raised, the boat will start sailing and will again head up.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
versine

Post by versine »

Thank you again for yours answers.

Regards

Jacques