Nonskid

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Blue Blade

Nonskid

Post by Blue Blade »

Just bought a Typhoon Sr. 1985 and the nonskid is painted a dark gray. I would like tan nonskid and have researched different methods and products ..... but I really need some opinions...what I am looking for is nonskid that is easy to clean and install. Any help would be appreciated....also still looking for anyone out there with knowledge of the history of our little CD..hull # 14. Thanks.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

We used Interlux non skid that we mixed into the paint. I went down good.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Kevin_P
Location: Former owner of "Meridian"1977 CD30C #58Milwaukee, WI

Kiwi Grip rocks.

Post by Kevin_P »

I had a great experience working with Kiwi Grip on our decks and cabintop nonskid areas. It was easy to trowel out, like a gel, then I rolled it with their supplied roller. Waterbased-acrylic paint. Easy cleanup. I applied it this spring. I used an Interlux primer to seal the deck beforehand and also to prime the cabinsides for Perfection. I'll eventually post photos. Expect to do a second coat or at least touchup areas though...

The other cool thing is that you can tint the paint at a local hardware store to get the exact color you want.
Kevin Petajan
"Vegvisir" - Young Sun 35

Former owner of "Meridian"
1977 CD30C #58
Milwaukee, WI
Blue Blade

Re: Nonskid

Post by Blue Blade »

Blue Blade wrote:Just bought a Typhoon Sr. 1985 and the nonskid is painted a dark gray. I would like tan nonskid and have researched different methods and products ..... but I really need some opinions...what I am looking for is nonskid that is easy to clean and install. Any help would be appreciated....also still looking for anyone out there with knowledge of the history of our little CD..hull # 14. Thanks.
.........Thank you!!!!!! Your information is verrrrrrrrryyyyyyy helpful. You people are great!
Sally Perreten

nonskid paint

Post by Sally Perreten »

I used Interdeck on our Ty decks and it was a piece of cake. No sand to mix in. Just prepare and paint. They have several colors, one of which is tan.

Sally
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

I second Kevin's vote for Pachena KiwiGrip. This is a very thick paint (as Kevin said, like a gel), and very easy to apply. Trowel it on, and roll it out a section at a time with the roller they provide. It will cover minor imperfections and/or discoloration beautifully.

It takes time to harden, and shouldn't be walked on for at least a day or two. Follow their instructions. A gallon did my entire boat.

I also recommend that if you tape the edges, remove the tape ASAP, while the KiwiGrip is still wet.

This stuff sticks to anything it touches, so if you have a drop or smudge out of place, clean it while wet. Once it dries, it won't come off (ask me how I know). My preparation involved cleaning and sanding, but no priming, and it came out beautifully. There is no sign trouble: No chipping, peeling, chalking, fading. I am impressed.

You can see my results here: http://www.reefroof.com/restdeck.htm. Scroll down to mid-page.

No, I have no connection to the company. I'm merely a satisfied customer.

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD 25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Nonskid

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi...

but i bet that the gray was just rolled on,
if it is, just roll on the color you want and its done...

i did it in sandstone, it works great...

on CD's its molded into the deck all you do is clean and paint, thats it...Win

Blue Blade wrote:Just bought a Typhoon Sr. 1985 and the nonskid is painted a dark gray. I would like tan nonskid and have researched different methods and products ..... but I really need some opinions...what I am looking for is nonskid that is easy to clean and install. Any help would be appreciated....also still looking for anyone out there with knowledge of the history of our little CD..hull # 14. Thanks.
Brian2

Epiphanes

Post by Brian2 »

Epiphanes makes a great single part non skid paint that I have rolled on. It comes in gray, cream and white, which can be tinted. There are no additives, and it dries super grippy. I have also used it on an aluminum ramp.