Finally accepted a race invitation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dalton

Finally accepted a race invitation

Post by Dalton »

Our club had a fun race Saturday. No fees, no min or max crew, easy registration and a rating if you need it. We got a 195. The race committee thought it would be fun to do a pursuit start where you apply the given time at the start. We were second to start at 1 minute and 22 seconds after the first boat, a Pearson 30. The last boats to start were more than a half hour after us. The course was just under 20 miles. Winds were 15 to 20 apparent. 3 Tacks. 8 or 9 miles close hauled, 2 or 3 downwind and 9 or so back on a beam reach. Theoretically we would all finish at the same time. We passed the Pearson on the first leg and nobody came close to catching us. We finished a mile ahead of a J34c. There were 17 boats. A few Benneteau racers in the 40 foot range, a Sabre 402, a Dufour 40, a Mason 43 an Erickson 36 and we just ran away with it. And when they asked who was on board I just said, Karen. I had the bottom cleaned Friday. Man what a difference a clean bottom makes. Not to mention 30 years sailing together and a magical hull shape.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

How cool is that!!!

I really like the Karen response to the crew inquiries.

You are a skilled and lucky sailor, Steve.
Bob Ohler

Good job!

Post by Bob Ohler »

Nice job Dalton!
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>Winds were 15 to 20 apparent.<<

That explains a lot! We're doomed in the 5-10 range, but watch out if the wind is blowing.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Stan W.

Re: Finally accepted a race invitation

Post by Stan W. »

Nice job!
Dalton wrote:Winds were 15 to 20 apparent. 3 Tacks. 8 or 9 miles close hauled, 2 or 3 downwind and 9 or so back on a beam reach.
As you probably figured out, these are ideal conditions for racing a Cape Dory: stiff breeze, no upwind tacking and a blessedly short down-wind leg.
tartansailor

Nice Going Dalton

Post by tartansailor »

Good show.
I'll bet that 99% of the BenHunCal boatmen don't have a clue as to what the different tell tails (if they even had them) should be doing in different wind and sea state conditions. :D

Dick