Saving Sailing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Darwin

Saving Sailing

Post by Steve Darwin »

If noone has already called Nicholas Hayes's little book "Saving Sailing" (Crickethollow Books, 2009) to the attention of this board, I enthusiastically recommend it. Hayes collected data showing that sailing is nowadays much less popular than it was just ten or twenty years ago; in this book he explores the cause of this decline and reaches conclusions that are rather far-reaching. Hayes sees sailing as the victim of changed cultural attitudes toward parenting and mentoring, and a shift away from genuine life choices to what he calls the chartered life, in which our time is structured and programmed by others along safe and predictable pathways leading to predetermined outcomes. Sailing, Hayes says, is not conducive to that kind of structuring.

"Sailboats are flatly not family friendly in the popular sense. On sailboats, people argue, swear and shout. On sailboats people fear, cry and celebrate. On sailboats, people fart, burp and vomit. All out in the open. But on sailboats, people, even children, learn to trust and understand each other, even when mistakes are made or common-sense lines are crossed.

"Sailboats are family friendly in the practical sense. When things happen that seem out of sorts, sailors explain them and fix them because the consequences of ignorance are too great. So sailors learn to live patiently, creatively, cooperatively and flexibly in their world. Then, later in life, they recall the experiences as rich and formative."

He also has much to say about yacht clubs (good), youth sailing programs (not so good), and why families that sail together stay together.

Hayes was recently interviewed by US Sailing:
http://media.ussailing.org/Latest_News/Hayes_Q_A.htm
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Some thoughts

Post by Joe Myerson »

Steve:

I haven't read this particular book (yet), but I do remember attending a briefing on the state of the boating industry at the opening (media) day at the Newport Boat Show two or three years ago. Gary Jobson of US Sailing spoke, and he also mentioned the declining numbers of new sailors.

My own personal theory lays the blame with over-protective parenting (and fear of lawsuits), increasingly sedentary (video-game- smartphone-addicted) youngsters, diminishing public access to the waterfront, and a decline in organized activities for young people and families. Boat manufacturers don't help when they stop making small, child- and young-family-friendly boats.

On a positive note: My little neighborhood club here on Cape Cod once taught sailing and racing, using a fleet of Beetle Cats. Member families all owned Beetles, and they donated their boats to the sailing camp that ran for six weeks in July and August.

Beetles became too expensive, and by the time my family moved to the area, the club was mostly just for tennis players--and a few diehard sailors like me, who paid dues to use the dock.

(I didn't grow up here, but I was lucky enough to have a father who figured out when I showed no interest in baseball that sailing might be just the thing to build my confidence.)

Over the past five years, a new generation of members started up an active sailing program again. They bought a fleet of Optis (mostly used, from other clubs), and recently added three 420s. Now, the kids race Optis all summer long, and the older ones get to use the 420s. We even have adult Opti races sometimes, and the little neighborhood club is producing a whole new generation of kids for whom sailing is becoming second nature.

Replicating this kind of family- and community-based program on a large scale is difficult and expensive--and it requires commitment of time and money from several generations.

Thanks for mentioning the book -- I'm going to request a copy from my local library.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I wonder if there is a parallel decline in powerboat usage. Inaccessibility of boats due to costs and to land based boating access due to housing developments and condos now occupying waterfronts where boating facilities once existed should hit power and sail equally. The recession of the past few years might skew results somewhat too.

I don't know about the rest of the reasons given as they never were in my mind. I got into sailing and stayed with sailing going on 40 years now becaused I loved it 20 minutes after my first sail and I've continued to love it ever since. No other reason, including family, has ever been a consideration.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Warren,
Based on personal observation--here on the Chesapeake Bay--I think that power boating has been harder hit than sailing. I suspect that while the downturn in the economy has lowered the general marketplace, the increased price of fuel has (IMHO) caused a reduction in the number of power boats on the water (and the speed at which they operate).

As to the question of "family friendly" I would suggest that it depends upon the family. For those seeking to shelter their children from society's ills, boating should be ideal. On the other hand, there is that potential danger thing associated with being away from land.

When I was a kid--before they invented sliced bread--my folks belonged to a yacht club (mostly power boats) whose membership consisted of families with kids. The club that we belong to has a aging membership (figures) with more grandchildren than juvenile children. However recently a spate new--younger--members (with children rather than grandchildren) have been joining. I have no idea if we are typical or unique.

I would be interested in learning the "state of sailing" around the country. Is it waxing or waning?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where screaming kids and cigar smoke almost never ruin a quiet anchorage), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
jbenagh
Salem, MA

a different take

Post by jbenagh »

Funny, just today, I drew the opposite conclusion. My son sailed in his first regatta at Marblehead Junior Race Week. This at the ripe age of ten and three weeks of sailing camp at the local lake under his belt (and a lot of hours sailing with me). At the end of today, the kids (and only kids) all helped each other put their boats away and gave each other racing tips with nary a grownup in sight. It was the kind of self-arranging that I think a lot of kids miss these days. Granted, there is a lot of adult involvement, and the kids are operating in a system that grown-ups invented, but the kids are the ones doing it, mostly because they are motivated.

At dinner, my son listed his accomplishments: finished not last; sailed on the ocean by myself; kept going even though I was scared. I think he learned some lessons that I didn't until a much later age.

He sailed in an Opti through the camp at our lake club, where we buy used boats from nearby clubs with larger budgets. He was coached and encouraged to race by the camp instructors, who all grew up in our club, and some of who are junior national champions.

I can't argue about the falloff in participation, etc. but for those who do, there is a magic. Which is why we are all here.

Jeff
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

M. R. Bober wrote: I would be interested in learning the "state of sailing" around the country. Is it waxing or waning?
Mitchell:

I was hesitant to post until I read Jeff's comments. My experience is limited because I came to sailing late in life. After lessons in 2004 I joined the local Coconut Grove Sailing Club in April 2008. Since then I have been a regular at the club and have noticed a lot of youth sailing programs. I never really considered the numbers, etc.

The past week has been difficult for sailing - steady winds of 22-25 kts with higher gusts. :( The sailing club's summer camp programs have not been able to get out on the water on their Optis, Sunfish, Lasers, etc. Yesterday I was at the club mid-morning and counted 30-40 students ranging in age for 11/12 to 16/17 perhaps. They were all signed up for one of several summer sailing programs at the club. They are usually out on the water and I never really appreciated the number of students. Yesterday, because of the high winds, they were playing soccer, some chess, some reading, etc.

I recall the sailing director saying that the club's summer youth sailing programs always draw large groups of attendees.

So, from my admittedly limited experience, it seems like sailing is an active youth sport - at least on Biscayne Bay.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Carl Thunberg

Sounds like some major editorializing to me

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I have to admit I have not read the book. From your albeit brief introduction, it sounds like he started out with a conclusion and found facts to support it. I see a TON of Optis, Lightnings and 420s in many of the harbors I visit. Equally important, I see high school and college kids doing the instruction most of the time. My girls grew up in boats, and they're not unique. From where I sit, sailing is very much alive and well.

You see what you surround yourself with. If you're around kids, you see kids. If you're around a bunch of old farts, well, there's a lot of farting. (Let the fireworks begin! Once in a while you just gotta toss a rock into a bee hive :wink: )
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I'd also like to see the breakdown by regions of the country. I wouldn't be surprised if the New England region, with its long nautical history and roots, has kept up fairly well, while other areas might be flagging to some extent. It would be interesting to see if there are regional deviations!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

Here on Long Island....

Post by Michael Heintz »

I have to agree with Carl, there is no lack of junior racing in these parts. There are many clubs with great youth programs. I see them out there all the time. I get to sail a lot during the week and the fleets are out there!!!!

I have been sailing from the age of 5, never part of the club scene but from a sailing family. We lived on a Crocker raised deck ketch during the summers in Falmouth harbor on the Cape. We were five kids living onboard. We loved it....didn't know any better :-) I had a 9 ft Dyer Dhow sailing dinghy. I spent my days sailing up and down the coast and out to the Vinyard.

I have not noticed a decline in sailing in our area. Norwalk harbor on Long Island. I see many families out every weekend. We have many powerboats in our marina and again no decline in the numbers, I do think however they are not used as much, but many a family go out with kids and go hang around the islands. There is a tremendous amount of boating activity in my harbor and surrounding area.
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

I'm not exactly seeing the death of sailing in my town either. We've always had a small private yacht club with a good youth program: used to be Beetle Cats (known as Bugs in our neck of the woods), now Optiists and 420s. They also sponsor adult races (open to all) for Marshall 15s, Flying Scotts and a small fleet of gold-plated one-design sloops unique to our waters. But now we have a community sailing program which has taken off like a barn fire over the last 10 years to the point where it is one of the best, if not the best, such program in the country. They mostly use Optimists, Lasers and 420s for the kids, but they also have modified boats for handicapped sailors and a potpouri of other vessels available to adults. Among other things, this program allows our public high school to field a sailing team which roams the whole country whupping the best private school teams wherever they can be found. Through a partnership with a local camp it also introduces sailing to dozens of city kids every summer. In short, there are more people from more backgrounds sailing our waters today than ever before.

Check it out: http://www.dbms.org
marv brinn

society

Post by marv brinn »

I am sitting by the computer and took an informal survey.I walked around and looked at the screens of 20 computers..Of the the twenty 18 were being used to play games ( kill bill,dodge the bullet etc)
At restaurants parents dine while there children are pounding away at their personal entertainment toys, hardly conversing with the parent who is feeding them.
My closest friend and I went out for a mothers day lunch while her daughter had to excuse herself a few times so she could text her friends about the ....size of her shrimp portions? or her dogs leash size? who knows.? why did her mother even allow this ? I wouldnt !!
The erosion of society/parent values has contributed to the falling of outdoor activities such as sailing..and has been a major factor in the increase of obesity...oh yes I have also noticed that 30% of the people poundind on the library keybds are overweight..not just a little either
none
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I tend to agree with Carl's assessment. I also have not read the book and from the sounds of it I probably would not be interested in it. My guess is that the economy has played a large part. I was never a big fan of parenting books when our kids were born or over analyzing things in general. We basically went on instinct and what our parents taught us and my kids turned out great. If sailing is in decline for whatever reason, it really does not bother me. It will make things relatively cheaper hopefully. My wife and kids like it, my grandson likes it so far; "Go on boat again Grandad". That's all I care about. If some anchorages and harbors are a little less crowded all the better.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Industry statistics are suspect, of course

Post by Joe Myerson »

The anecdotal evidence from members of this board, like Carl, Warren, Michael, Jeff and Stan, would indicate that sailing is alive and well, at least in sailing communities--and I say "hooray" to that.

Also, the statements I cited in my first posting on this thread come from the boating industry: They're based on such things as new-boat sales, memberships in USSailing and -- in the case of powerboats -- state registration statistics.

Since I don't know a single sailor who ever bought a brand new boat (well, maybe one), I'd have to say that those numbers are probably suspect.

So, maybe we don't have to nail the coffin lid shut on sailing after all. However, it's my impression that interest in sailing is diminishing as a percentage of the population nationwide.

Part of this is due to the factors Marv and I cited earlier, and part is due to large segments of the population that have never been exposed to on-the-water activity of any sort. Add the current state of the economy to this, and you have a sport that might not be in decline--but it isn't growing either.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Steve Darwin

Post by Steve Darwin »

On the subject of tossing rocks into bee hives, some of Hayes's assumptions may be flawed, but his arguments are well worth considering.

For what it's worth, Hayes drew upon his own survey, the US Census, American Sports Data, and US Sailing data to document trends in "Pastime Participation." Based on numbers of participants, 1997 versus 2007: Skateboarding +49%, Yoga +31%, Tent Camping +2%, Day Hiking -5%, Backpacking -12%, Fishing -23%, Sailing -37%, Hunting -40%.

"At first pass, these data might simply suggest that we are tending to select activities that we can do alone, whereas group activities are holding steady or declining. That may be true, but we might also conclude that complex activities that require someone closely involved to lead and teach are the ones at risk, activities like hunting, fishing and sailing."

Seems like many of the posters on this board sailed with their parents as children. This would be consistent with Hayes's view that lifelong sailors most often associate sailing with important social (often family) experiences and continue to sail as a way to honor the past (nostalgia).

"Sailing had a role in American culture when sailing was multi-generational. A sailboat might be among the best platforms on which generations can gather and learn from each other."

Hayes says his interview data show that the main reason why families don't get involved in sailing is conflict over time allocation, not cost.

Hayes sees sailing camps as equivalent to soccer camps, where the parents are spectators. They may cheer their son or daughter on to victory at the regatta, but they don't directly share in their child's experience. They are not sailing together, working out problems together.

Hayes suggests that the graduates of competitive youth sailing programs are not likely to stay with sailing as a lifelong pastime. Other activities come to be seen as more important. But this may be conjecture on Hayes's part.

If "American Sailing" is, in fact, on the decline, should we care? I think the answer may depend on where you sail. If the forces of commercial development threaten to despoil your bay or sound, dredge your harbor for a tanker terminal, or let your quiet cove be turned into a condo city, or if the town worthies think that the local "yacht" owners can absorb big increases in "Waterway Use" fees, then you had better have some allies, in the form of a constituency of other sailors, on your side.
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Larry DeMers
CD30c #283
Lake Superior

Why Decline of sailing?

Post by Larry DeMers »

Where we sail, Lake Superior, there is a significant decrease in sail charters compared to 10 years ago. We live onboard full time for 7 months of the year, so we see the Apostle Islands activity daily.

During the week, we are lucky to see 3 sailboats on the horizon. As the weekend approaches, the number does increase, but not anywhere like it was in the early '00's, or late 90's.

One particular island up here in the Apostle's is on every boaters 'must-see' list...Stockton Island and anchorages. On a busy saturday night, 75 boats at anchor would not be unusual. Every weekend, we would see at least 20-30 anchored. Nowdays, we are sometimes alone, but never do we see more than 5-7 boats anchored with us.

My belief is that what we are seeing are the results of 10 years worth of cutting back on discretionary spending by the average joe that would be interested in sailing. Jobs are lost, hours reduced, wife looses her position, so household income drops etc. Many secondary effects to the slow choking of America by business, government and apparently everyone that can get their hands on our money, technology or manufacturing processes.

My belief is that a secondary cause of the decline is the rather large egg that one must save up in order for the average joe to bankroll his boat afloat.

Always, the first thing a prospective sailor looks at are the glossy adds touting how 57 feet is just about perfect for a couple to handle now, along with everything being powered by electric motors, multi-function displays that rival your video display at home. The price tag probably pops up next on the prospective sailors screen..$375k, and well appointed at that!

IF this fella has some good karma left, maybe an experienced sailor will lead him to the concept of buying a used boat of high quality, and then learning what she needs in addition to what you already have through experience.

Otherwise, this guy will walk..to someother sport that can fill his time at a lower cost. Flying..hanggliding, traveling.etc.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,

Larry
Larry DeMers