Launching and rigging a 25D in Newport

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Invictus
CDSOA #1251

Launching and rigging a 25D in Newport

Post by Invictus »

I'll be launching my 25D later this week. I'm looking for recommendations on both the procedure (using crane/travel lift to launch boat AND step the mast) and boat yards (cost and proximity to the Navy base).

Stepping the mast looks pretty straight forward, but any sage advice from the more experienced would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
Jeff
“…It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.â€
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

Jeff:

Newport shipyard is the closest yard south of Naval Station Newport, and New England Boatworks is about the same distance north. Both are first-rate yards.

Where is the boat? If you are trucking it in from the north, it may be more economical to launch at Borden Light in Fall River or Bristol Marine in Bristol, and sail down. I don't know much about Borden Light; Bristol is a very good yard, where I kept my boat for many years.

I understand that the 25D mast can be stepped without a crane, but I have never tried it or seen it done. If this is a new-to-you boat, the first launch would be a great opportunity to have a rigger look things over.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

I would advise against New England Boatworks. My boat was there 2 winters ago and my experience was really, really poor. Despite having contacted the office there 4 times to confirm my launch date, when I arrived there I was told that no one had contacted the yard manager and I would have to wait another week. Given that we were driving over 2 hours each way I was not pleased. My impression was that unless you have a 45 or 50 footer there, you are invisible.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
tartansailor

One Note of Caution

Post by tartansailor »

From a very bad experience, make sure that the rear lifting strap
does not! lift the rudder.:cry:
Also insure that the front strap can not slide forward, dropping the bow on to the pavement. :(

Dick
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Stepping CD25 Mast

Post by Sea Owl »

My yard uses a forklift to raise/step the mast (and lower it too!).

A line is looped around the mast just below the spreaders, and the mast is then 'hoisted' with the line hooked onto the end of the fork on the lift.

Fast, easy, and cheap!

Fair and steady winds!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Invictus
CDSOA #1251

New England Boatworks

Post by Invictus »

I have an appointment on Friday at New England Boatworks in Portsmouth (Melville), RI. They seem like pretty decent folks and their prices were reasonable when compared with other yards in the area.

Of course, I think my 25D may be the smallest boat they've dealt with in a while...Some awesome monsters sitting up there when I went to talk to the yard manager today.

Thanks for the advice!
Jeff
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

You might want to talk to Standish Yard in Tiverton, only a short sail from Portsmouth. Standish was a Cape Dory dealer and Ken Hilton, the owner, still maintains a number of Cape Dorys in the area (including his own 33.)
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

I posted a video on you tube detailing the launch of my 25D. It might be useful to see the procedure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6dpFUOOwmY
John Laton

Hope you enjoy my old flame !

Post by John Laton »

She has one of the cleanest and nicest all original interiors of any of the CD25D's I've looked at.. Just a joy to go and hang out below in.

Best of luck with her and Fair Winds in your travels.

Former owner

John
CD 10
Invictus
CDSOA #1251

Thanks John

Post by Invictus »

Thanks John! I'm looking forward to getting her back in the water. It's been a long haul since I picked her up in City Isl and I'm ready to enjoy her...

Jeff