How many people in a Typhoon?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Marc in Chicago

How many people in a Typhoon?

Post by Marc in Chicago »

I've been considering buying a Typhoon (probably a weekender, given the supply), which strikes me as the perfect boat for single-handed daysailing on Lake Michigan, as well as being relatively economical to maintain. I've sailed the daysailer (cuddy) model in the past, and love the way the boat handles and looks.

On the other hand, my wife (and sometime sailing partner) would like a "bigger" boat that we could occasionally take out with 2 or 3 friends and is in favor of a CD 25 (or larger). We don't plan on much if any cruising.

So -- would a Ty be too cramped with 4 (or even 5) people? Any and all comments and suggestions based on personal experience are welcome.

PS: There happens to be very attractive Kittiwake 23 for sale at a dock across from where we live. It might be a compromise, but at this point I'm more comfortable with Cape Dory's reputation and the existence of "support systems" like this board.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Capacity

Post by bhartley »

We were just fine with two in our Typhoon Weekender. With one of our sometime guests, we would have to row out to the mooring and close the seacocks before he came on board to avoid embarrassment. For most occasions, three was very comfortable and the water line stayed above the cockpit drains.

I would consider four the maximum with comfort assuming that there is some wind. You wouldn't want 2 sitting to leeward in a blow. The daysailer cockpit is longer however.

We have a SS23 which is a Kittwake cousin and four is very comfortable. All three (Ty, SS23 and Kittiwake) are all Alberg designs.
DaveCD28

Depends

Post by DaveCD28 »

I haven't sailed a typhoon, but I would think it probably depends on the size and weight of the company.

If it were me and five NFL cheerleaders I would think it was just fine for even a couple of days even if a little cramped.

If it were me and five of my fat, beer drinking buddies I'd feel like jumping overboard (if the boat hadn't sunk on it's own yet) before we left the dock.
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

I have had four students and me on our typhoon before. These are high school kids so not small. It was a little cramped and sometimes, I would stand in the companionway or they would sit on the bow and ride up there. With a good breeze four is not too much for a typhoon. It is easiest if you give simple instructions to each person about tending the jib sheets and such and that way everyone can stay put when you tack unless there is a lot of wind and you need some weight to shift to the upwind side.
We have had a 25D and it is a great boat for a larger crew. We have taken six aboard with no problem. Sometimes the kids like to go below and read or play cards or such when the breezes die. Also, the head forward is nice if you want to stay out for a long time. Not everyone is comfortable with using the head or porta pottie on a typhoon.
Both boats are great sailors but the amount of expense and time for upkeep is much greater with the 25D. Both are easy to single hand though as this was the way that I sailed most often.

Bob B.
CD Typhoon Liberty
Lancaster, SC
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: How many people in a Typhoon?

Post by Duncan »

Marc in Chicago wrote:...On the other hand, my wife (and sometime sailing partner) would like a "bigger" boat that we could occasionally take out with 2 or 3 friends and is in favor of a CD 25 (or larger). We don't plan on much if any cruising.

PS: There happens to be very attractive Kittiwake 23 for sale at a dock across from where we live. It might be a compromise, but at this point I'm more comfortable with Cape Dory's reputation and the existence of "support systems" like this board.
I'd better qualify this by saying that I have been a bachelor for the past few years, but I would say that the signs are clear - get the Kittiwake.

My reasoning is twofold - a little more boat, especially cabin-wise, can generally make quite a difference to the fairer sex. In your case, this is what she is specifically asking for, so you don't even have to be a mind-reader!

Secondly, I haven't sailed one, but I get the impression that the Kittiwake is a special boat that you would really enjoy. That, and the CD22 and the Alberg 22, are a very nice set of boats. They do offer a small "weekending" cabin, but are a bit less demanding than a CD 25D.
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

As much as I love my Typhoon, I'd opt for the Kittiwake based on your requirements. With guests aboard, the privacy and comfort of the head become more important, and that also points to the Kittiwake.
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

I had a Kenner Kittiwake before getting my CD25. Many Kittiwakes where build as kits. The fit and finish can be very different on some boats.

I really liked mine and it felt as big as my CD25. I went with the 25 because it was in much better condition and I felt like it was a great deal. Both boats have a very similar feel. I don't remember any surprises going from the Kenner to the Cape Dory.

I liked having the quarter berth in the Kittiwake. I think the sink is a waste in both boatst. The sink and cabinet in the Kittiwake is forward. Where the CD is aft.

I could sail with four adults in the cockpit of either but your guest needs to get out of the way if you want to trim the head sail unless they are willing to help. If you go with a smaller boat and you want to sail with others go with something bigger. My wife already wants more space.

Oh and you're right, other Cape Dory owners are super helpful.
Seajunkie
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Have you ever looked at an Edey and Duff Stone Horse? They have a very large cockpit for their size You can find them with and with out desiels. Allway have loved those boats.

Joe

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Edey- ... n/20756951
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I would vote for a CD22. They sail beautifully and have a very nice little cabin. I currently sail a CD25D and a Ty daysailer. My cockpit cushions from the 25D fit the CD22 so I don't think you get that much more cockpit with the 25D. The Ty daysailer has a cockpit that rivals many 30 foot boat--but no cabin whatsoever.
alan cohen

Post by alan cohen »

Marc in Chicago wrote: So -- would a Ty be too cramped with 4 (or even 5) people?
My story is similar, except for the wife part. I was looking to upgrade from a little 13' Flying Junior that I learned to sail with last year to something a bit larger. I have two boys, 14 and 12, and wanted something that would not only be comfortable for the three of us, but that would accommodate a couple of their friends. I'd do anything to get them away from those darn video games and out into the real world.

I love the look of CDs and of course had a Ty high on the list. I went to look at two and realized if I was going to do any cruising, the cabin on a weekender was barely usable. It is very tight in there. I then looked at a CD22 which would have been perfect for the three of us, but no more. A couple of CD25s were selling at bargain prices at the time. I was swooning.

After a long, hard, soul searching look at what I was really going to be doing with the new boat, I realized the CD was not for me...yet. I was still a ways away from doing any real cruising or 'weekending'. My time in the boat would be sailing on a local lake with occasional trips to Raritan or Barnegat Bay. Being used to my little 200# dinghy, the thought of maneuvering around 2000# of boat was daunting to me. My requirements were:

1) Trailerable, preferable with my 4cyl Honda Element. Adding a new tow vehicle dramatically increased the expense.
2) Comfortable for up to 6 adults.
3) Easily stepped and unstepped mast for one person
4) Fun to sail even in the light summer winds of central Jersey.
5) A boat that can be floated off a trailer from the beach. My local reservoir is known to lower the water level mid-summer making launching anything with a fixed keel impossible from the ramp.
6) It had to be a well-maintained, rather than a project boat. I'm pretty handy, but my time is limited. I'd rather spend it sailing than sanding.

As much as I love the Ty, it just wasn't the right boat for me. I ended up with an 18' open cockpit Lockley-Newport Whitecap. It's 760# rigged with a 125# swing keel drawing 8" up and 5' down. The open cockpit is huge and with 176sq' of sail area it glides nicely in the slightest of breezes. It is a bit tender compared to a CD, but not nearly as much as the FJ! Maybe not so much with a wife, but with two teenage boys, burying a rail now and then goes over real big! They still moan when I 'suggest' a sailing day, but once out on the water and healed 30º, it's all smiles. I installed a swim ladder off the transom and a topping lift so on light wind days we can drop sail and anchor in the middle of the lake and have a swim party. I put a 5hp Honda in the motor well and can quickly make hull speed when necessary. It is the ideal 'next step' in my sailing 'career'.

My point is, I had to finally make my decision with my head rather than my heart. I believe there is still a Cape Dory in my future, but now wasn't the time.

So...my thinking is, maybe a Weekender is not the right choice. The cockpit would be very cramped with 4 adults. If you are not going to do any cruising, why get a boat with a cabin at all? I think you make trapper an offer on his Daysailor ;^)
Last edited by alan cohen on Jun 20th, '10, 07:08, edited 5 times in total.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Marc in Chicago wrote: my wife (and sometime sailing partner) would like a "bigger" boat that we could occasionally take out with 2 or 3 friends and is in favor of a CD 25 (or larger). We don't plan on much if any cruising.

So -- would a Ty be too cramped with 4 (or even 5) people?
Hello Marc:

Your post suggests adults not children. I sail mostly single handed. A few times I have had another adult on board. One time I had two other adults on board.

With one other adult it is comfortable, especially if the other person is comfortable/familiar with being on a sailboat and moving around on a sailboat. With two other adults it was somewhat cramped but again doable-especially if they are comfortable on a sailboat.

Although I have never experienced it, I would think it very crowded to have 4 adults in the cockpit of a Ty Weekender while sailing.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
jim trandel
Location: '83 Typhoon Weekender, #1907 "Second Wind" Chicago Monroe Harbor

Post by jim trandel »

Hi Marc,
I sail my CD Typhoon out of Monroe Harbor. I'm new to sailing but I sail solo most of the time during the week in light air. Last Saturday I went out with my son and daughter-in-law and experienced 5 knot winds. by the time we moored the wind were 20+ and waves at 2-3ft with a severe rip current. The boat did well but us sailors were a bit skittish in the unforgiving Lake Michigan. The boat would handle 4 in the cockpit but please understand that the tiller is 40inm long and needs to rotate and the weight of the passengers allows water to flow in & out of the cockpit deck. 4 people would be the absolute Max in my opinnion.

Capt Bumpa
Second Wind
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I'll give you some perspective from the cockpit of a CD28 that I've sailed for 15 years...

Four in my cockpit is comfortable. With six adults it can work but handling the tiller and sheets is difficult. Not a problem in light to moderate air but as the degree of heel increases, more people in the cockpit makes it harder on the skipper.

If it's only once in a while, go for the Weekender. If it's a boat for entertaining friends, go larger if you can.

As for your not planning to cruise, we've heard that before, too. <g>

I don't think you can get this wrong. If you buy a Typhoon and change your mind, it's easy enough to get your money back.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
oldragbaggers

We've had 6

Post by oldragbaggers »

Our first boat was a Typhoon back in the days when my husband was a Navy Ensign serving aboard the USS Whipple in Honolulu. The Whipple was an ambassador ship so whenever ships from other countries visited, the officers on the Whipple were expected to show the visiting officers around. We always took a few of them sailing. We quite often had 6 adults on board and had a wonderful time touring them around Pearl Harbor. Wonderful memories of a fantastic boat.
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

How Many In A Typhoon

Post by Oswego John »

Becky,

You have certainly whetted my curiosity. Six adults in a Ty makes me wonder if your Ty was an early vintage.

The earlier models didn't have self bailing cockpits. The newer models have scuppers and when the boat is loaded, the seawater comes in rather than goes out.

It must have been beautiful to sail "The Pearl".

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490