Friend Needs Marina Info/BP strikes Oklahoma

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Friend Needs Marina Info/BP strikes Oklahoma

Post by barfwinkle »

Well the oil mess is also messing up cruising plans for locals at our marina. Two boats that were heading south in the coming weeks are now having second thoughts. Both want to turn Left at New Orleans not Right and they are now considering heading down river to Greenville MS and the hauling their boats to the Chesapeake. Neither of them want to run the ICW along the Gulf.

So, I am very familiar with Yankee Point Sailboat Marine in Sunny Lancaster VA and have recommended it highly to one of the Captains. However, does anyone know of other suggestions with the following criteria:

5" draft; live aboard; Solomons is out as it is so crowded on weekends; prefer quite small operations (mom & pop type) marinas. A DIY yard would be great. I am familiar with marina referenced above, one or two in Solomons and the Point Lookout Marina. Not too sure about Point Lookout! Probably Western Shore, but whatever.

TIA and Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Russell

Post by Russell »

There are several in Deltasville VA that fit those criteria, its actually a favorite spot among long term cruisers to do refits, good boat yards, DIY allowed and among the cheapest rates in the chesapeake.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Flag Harbor

Post by moctrams »

Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

time frame?

Post by Steve Bryant »

Bill,

I don't know your friends time frame for the trip, but if they stay in the ICW along the gulf coast they shouldn't have any problem with the oil. While the Louisiana marsh close to the mouth of the Mississippi is getting affected along with some of the beaches in Alabama and western Florida, the ICW is clear. We have a barrier island chain that is south of the ICW that will see more of the oil than the inside passages.

They should check with the coast guard down here for the lastest info, but right now it is not an issue.
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

He really doesn't want to do the ICW, thus the alternate plan. Thank you.

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
Andy Denmark

Olveroson's Marina

Post by Andy Denmark »

Bill,

Here's a good one to investigate:

http://olversonsmarina.com/

Olverson's is on the south shore just west of Smith Point on the Potomac River. It is located on Lodge Creek, I believe. It is SE of St. Mary's River on the north shore of the Potomac.

Bill Watson aboard Kittiwake lived aboard at Olverson's for some months while on his boat. Bill will be able to give more detailed information but I recall him saying it was a nice facility, reasonably priced, and with knowledgeable staff.

Let me know if I can help with moving the boat. Get her out ahead of the oil if you can.

Andy
________
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:47, edited 1 time in total.
Ocean Girl
Location: 1981 Cape Dory 30 cutter, located at Waterford Harbor, Clear lake, Texas

Post by Ocean Girl »

Fantastic site, will help make decisions on route
Gulf Oil Spill Waterway Guide- http://www.waterwayguide.com/oil_spill/
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.
- Errol Flynn

PS I have a blog now!
http://oceangirlcd30.blogspot.com/
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Cruising Guide

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

One bit of advice would be to not leave home without the cruising guides for all the areas they intend to sail through. I recommend this one for Chesapeake Bay.
  • Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide By William H. Shellenberger
There's also:
  • Chesapeake Bay Magazine's Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay 2010 Edition

Chesapeake Bay Cruising Guide Volume 1: Upper Bay, Susquehanna River to Patuxent River and Little Choptank River by Tom Neale

A Cruising Guide to the Chesapeake, Including the Passages from Long Island Sound along the New Jersey Coast and Inland Waterway by William T. Stone, Fessenden Seaver Blanchard

Maptech Embassy Cruising Guide: Chesapeake Bay to Florida

Waterway Cruising Guide - Chesapeake Bay 2010

The Chesapeake Bay Ports of Call & Anchorages by Thomas A. Henschel; Aerial Photography by Lucien F. Miner
And this one is online: