Spill revisited

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

GLutzow

Spill revisited

Post by GLutzow »

I heard on Public radio today that they have detected oil in the Gulf Loop current. If so the oil should reach Key West in about a week.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

spill

Post by moctrams »

If it gets in the Gulf Stream, It will be awful! I wonder if it will get to Ireland.
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

It depends on the quantity of the oil that gets into the loop current which is dependent upon how quickly they get this mess under control. So far, I am UNDERWHELMED by the response, planning and expertise show by BP. Everything that they have been telling us couldn't happen ... has. It reminds me of another large organization ......... ah I remember, our esteemed government. Why tell the truth when misdirection will serve.

The thing that has me baffled is the generally low key reaction, other than the usual pundits, that people have demonstrated to what is quickly becoming the worst man-made ecological disaster in recent history. It is certainly worse than the Prince William Sound fiasco.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Troy Scott

underwhelmed

Post by Troy Scott »

Greg,

You're absolutely right. I too am amazed at the lack of indignation. Most folks just don't seem to "get it". Example: One guy (who ought to know better) responded: "Well it may just all sink to the bottom", as if that would be a fine end to this mess, and would prove that the rest of us have just been over-reacting. As far as I'm concerned, if an oil slick that's larger than some states gunks up the floor of the Gulf of Mexico, that's disaster enough to warrant shutting down the perpetrators. I'm amazed that sailors, of all people, are sometimes as insensitive as the next guy.

Last night I had occasion to drive along a long stretch of Highway 90 in southern Louisiana, just north of the slick. It's true that there are some chemical plants near and along that road and that they sometimes smell. But I will have to say that the strong odor of crude oil was definitely in the air. Things just aren't right. It's a sad time.
Regards,
Troy Scott